Happy Birthday, Adolf Hitler!

beano

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://teakdoor.com/famous-threads/19225-thewphaingarm-school-bangkok-celebrates-nazism.html

This is a school sports day in Thailand. I don't want to link directly to Teak Door 'cos I think it is against the rules, but check this out at your leisure.

I think a combination of factors are at play here: cultural differences, distance from Europe, age of those participating in "sports day", poor education on historical topics, and a general ambivalence towards anything outside the region that happened "a long time ago".

They just don't have the same frame of reference for it that westerners do.

Hard as it may be to believe, I can see 100 years from now (when even the last of "Generation Y" will be dead), this sort of pageant going on even in schools in America or England.

By then we will have lost almost all cultural reference to these events. I mean how much direct reference do we really have to the American Civil War or the Crimean War these days?

It will be a sad day when we all forget how horrible Hitler was, but I can see it coming. To future generations he will look to them like how we look at Gengis Kahn or Jack the Ripper.

-=/NN

Who talks about how terrible Stalin was? He was as evil as Hitler - and got away with it. The kids born nowadays hardly study history anyway. What they get is sort an abridged "feel good" version that tries to include everybody and offend no one.

The only reason Stalin could get away with it was that unlike Hitler, nobody was able to invade and expose his freshly soiled laundry! :smirk:

I agree that what passes for history these days is weak sauce. It was already starting when I was in High School with the inclusion of marginally historic figures solely based on the color of their skin.

They made DAMN sure you knew who Crispus Attucks was in High School. Never did learn the names of the other four fellows that died in the Boston Massacre......

It wouldn't surprise me to see a current History textbook having whole chapters on "Global Warming" . Actually they would probably be more sneaky about it and go on about "greenhouse gasses" and "carbon emissions" after any mention of important inventions.

-=/NN

Crispus Attucks was killed while attacking the British guards with a club. They finally had enough and opened fire. At least one of the other "victims" really was just that. He just happened to be passing by and was hit by a musket ball. No postage stamp for him, though. He was Irish ... and Catholic!

Henry Ford caught hell for saying "History is bunk", but he had a point. So called history is almost always written to suit an agenda.

Just wondering if you can actually make a post in this forum without referring to GWB?

:dunno:

I'm no fan, but you take this to an extreme.

TH

I'm also interested if he can actually make a post in a political topic other than talking about Rogie voting for Clinton in 92. We get it BT! You don't like it when the mighty USA shoves democracy down others throats, yet you force feed us the same thing over and over again. Do you even like yourself? I reccomend using Faussies services. I'm sure he will give you a discount because you are terribly lost in this big world! :)

Just wondering if you can actually make a post in this forum without referring to GWB?

I'm no fan' date=' but you take this to an extreme.

TH [/quote']

I'm also interested if he can actually make a post in a political topic other than talking about Rogie voting for Clinton in 92. We get it BT! You don't like it when the mighty USA shoves democracy down others throats, yet you force feed us the same thing over and over again. Do you even like yourself? I reccomend using Faussies services. I'm sure he will give you a discount because you are terribly lost in this big world! :)

youngfarang, as an 18 year old, you can be funny.

I guess you prefer rogie talking about LEFTISTS, calling people LIARS, etc. but then when I think about it, you do talk very similar to the way rogie does. :hmmm:

We could have a discussion as to why you use pink in your comments some of the time. What is that all about?

I'm no fan' date=' but you take this to an extreme.

TH [/quote']

BKT has no need of my services, RY on the other hand....

The reality is RY couldn't intellectually or emotionally access the required parts of himself. Those devoid of insight and empathy can not easily develop it. This isn't a put-down, it's reality. Most people exist blissfully unaware of themselves. Odd but true. For most this is how it should be. Opening Pandora's box isn't something the vast majority can handle.

people living unaware of themselves, never trying to question their motivation (a bit of introspection)

will surely follow any trend/dictator/populist....

On the other hand, looking yourself in the mirror from time to time (figuratively speaking) sometimes leads you to really go a bit crazy....

Archived