Do Your Thai Friends/Partners Like Non-Thai Foods

expat

My Thai wife and her three children mainly eat Thai foods. We have to go at least twice a week to an Asian market. She doesn't eat meat (except for McDolalds, go figure). I've tried Mexican food twice and it went over like a lead balloon. I definately had to buy a rice cooker within a week of moving to Kansas City. In Thailand, I usually ate chicken with sticky rice to at least one meal, usually lunch and ate corn flakes for brekfast (I can't eat thai food for breakfast). At least here, if I'm tired of thai food, I can cook my own dinner. The eldest daugher has had pasta lunches every day at school since November. None of the children will touch milk, even though the eldest has, and will have for the rest of her life, serious dental problems (yes, I've suggested calcium in her diet). KFC was a treat in Thailand but I've switched them to Popeye's as their favorite fast food chicken here.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I make it a point to not eat at McDonalds, just on principle. We've had Popeye's twice since coming here and pizza 4 times. I usually eat the thai food she makes. Believeme, its not going to be my food intake that eventually kills me. It will be the intake of regular coke/Dr. Pepper over the last 35 years.

Hi Dean, Well at least you got them off KFC.

I also loke Popeye's when I can find one.

My wife does'nt like it though.

We met a Thai lady living in BFE west Kansas this fall. Poor lady there is only 2 other Thai's in that small town and no asian market for 200 miles

My wife sent her a small care package before we flew to LOS last month. She also included the big bowl and mortor so she can make som tom and chili paste..

The last time I checked, they do sell coke in Thailand (my local Tesco occasionally has 1.25 liter for 19 baht aND I have purchased many a bottle there). Because I do have a one year old and would like to see him graduate from college, I have a New Year's resolution to switch from soft drinks to water/iced tea. I ca't move back for at least 6 years, while my wife's children are going to school here. That was the primary reason to move here (that and making more money). For the almost 3 years I had lived in thailand, I probably had lost 25 pounds, both from eating rice evry day and working on my house. Now, I've probably put half that back on in 3 months of living here.

My wife has managed to meet many thai women here and has two good friends now. I have heard from one thai here that knows of two thai women that have come here with their american husbands and live on farms. They can't stand it, mainly the isolation.

My wife has managed to meet many thai women here and has two good friends now. I have heard from one thai here that knows of two thai women that have come here with their american husbands and live on farms. They can't stand it, mainly the isolation.

Yes, a lot of relations go south because of the isolation !

Thais need Thais around them....

We live and work both at home, wife needs to meet her friends min twice a week, and a few times on the phone to top that off.

BB

Archived