Do Your Thai Friends/Partners Like Non-Thai Foods

expat

My wife will try different dishes. Over the years I have had her taste various dishes I thought she would enjoy at different restaurants where ever I decide I'd like to eat. She/and daughter love my sicilian style pizzas and pizza puffs/calzones, etc. A good ham goes over well, turkey, etc. She loves the Bourbon Street crawdads, the Bourbon St. redfish with white sauce, mexican dishes, some italian food, some German dishes. Main thing she will not eat is beef.

My daughter does not like mayo, and is a pip about trying different things, but once I get her to try something (I know she'll like it-she's just stubborn and like her comfort Thai foods) she usually will ask me to make more for her and her friends when I am cooking. I bought a decent gas oven last year and make some mean Tollhouse choc chip cookies, cupcakes, homemade frosting/icings, homemade breads and bagels, muffins, bisquits, pancakes, French Toast, etc. Most go down well with the Thais. I have teachers that I have plied with my pizza begging me to make more every week. I guess I'll have to start selling stuff from the wife's restaurant. :)

Thai farang dishes usually are lacking something, especially most 'desserts' like cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. And the pizza here is crap totally, no exceptions so far. I find many Thais will give it a try. Same as I will try whatever Thai foods they try to get me to eat. Then I decide whether it is something I will have again or not. Same for many Thais I have seen.

Though some are like my younger brother and never wish to try anything but their favorites. Up in the village the wife's cousins usually will eat whatever I've gotten cooking on the stove.

I think many women who would marry a foreigner are a bit more adventurous as well and willing to at least try different things. :smirk:

p.s. They do not seem to like Bleu cheese and the more pungent cheeses.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we hit a western style restaurant she will refuse to order Thai food claiming "if the cook cooks western food he can't cook Thai food". That's her experience when she avoided western food in such restaurants.

We often go to Italian and Japanese restaurants.

At home I cook western at least twice/week.

But no beef and no cheese :rolleyes:

But there are exceptions. My wife loves much of the Thai foods she has eaten at Bourbon Street restaurant, and she goes with me there to eat her breakfast (usually a Thai dish) every morning we are in the city. She says the Thai food there is very good. And she knows her Thai food and she is a cook herself with her own local Thai restaurant who is very picky about where and what she eats in Thai food restaurants.

Archived