Do Your Thai Friends/Partners Like Non-Thai Foods

expat

When my wife and I first got together, she would only eat Thai food, but that changed over a couple years. Now she likes as many different types of foods as I do--and I like lots of different things.

Sometimes if we go out with another couple to a western restaurant, my friend's Thai spouse will order Thai food even though that's not really the point of the restaurant. So, I was wondering about the board member's friends/partners. Do they like a varied diet or are they stuck on Thai food?

I couldn't decide whether to post this in Food or Relationships, so I put it in General. :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly I find this behavior at the top of Thai society as well as the bottom - it's universal to all Thai's be they second gen Thai Chinese or old Isaan.

However a few wives come to mind - mine makes western food every second night - at her choice - and makes an amazing Lasagna - ask KS!

Another wife of a friend I know makes equally amazing cakes!

My wife also has a very good habit - whenever we pass a restaurant with a theme not tried "Nepal Food" for example she'll insist on trying something new.

Muslim food is a long time favourite as well.

However she is very rare I think (As is the OP wife)

Oddly you'd think the other Thai's living with me would learn from her - and they are better than the average Thai when it comes to tasting and enjoying different food.

The odd one out in our household is my maid - I have to hide the left over lasagna and roasts (wife cooks a very large tray full) from the maid or I'll get none for breakfast!

My wife is not fussy she will eat any food, and I mean that in the politest way. During the week predominantly Thai food since that is what is easy for her to pick up lunch time at work and also when driving home in the evening, being out of the house 12 hours / day the last thing she wants to do when she gets home is to start cooking so Thai food is cheap and convinient.

At weekends its a mix, just so happens to be where we are and what mood takes us, could be full english breakfast or a Sunday Roast, othertimes Lebanese, sunday brunch (Marriot Resort), French or Italian restaurants and occasionaly mexican etc.

I assume her varied pallete is due to exposure to different cuisines, as well as spending time in the states studying for masters she has also spent extended time in Canada, UK / EU and Australia in the past and travels within SE Asia nowadays with work.

Some may say she has strange tastes for a Thai, and considering she married me I have to agree with them.

Hi,

"However a few wives come to mind - mine makes western food every second night - at her choice - and makes an amazing Lasagna - ask KS!"

She does. Massive dish was gone in minutes :)

"Another wife of a friend I know makes equally amazing cakes!"

That would be mine :)

She doesn't eat them herself though, but mostly because she's too afraid to get fat.

My wife is reasonably adventurous when it comes to food and has tried some interesting foods. I think she does prefer Thai food, but in Western restaurants she has no problems ordering Western food. She also loves Japanese food.

The kids though are different. While the boy tries most things, his younger sister and his niece will not. Very difficult to get them to eat (or even try) anything other than Thai food.

Sanuk!

Kids are hard to get to be adventurous in any culture - oddly one or two village kids are - most of them not.

Japanese food is very popular I notice - interesting as not even close to Thai - and Korean BBQ is now obligatory in even small villages - staying close to original style Korean BBQ as well.

Funny you brought up cooking. My wife and I talked about food just last night. She loves it when I do a pork roast, turkey and chiken. Recently, I just started cooking Thai food. She likes it when I make dishes based on coconut milk and add pinapple.

But as one Thai woman who owns a Thai market said to me, after learning my wife likes my cooking, "I bet she can't cook to good!"

Archived