what to bring from USA to help BGs kid be smarter ?

LAX

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guilt ?????

no fucking way , I am sure that there are others that would like to help some if they could ,

Even helping a little is better than none at all,

its weird that I have to defend myself for trying to do something good ,

I think we all love and hate Thailand , but one way that it will get better is if the kids get smarter, so even getting them interested in a comic book is something , wanting to learn anything is a big improvement .

I like Old Hippies idea and I may go over that way and look, there is another school supply place right next to MBK-National Stadium.

Anyway if I am "adding little sustainable change" thats OK with me , I am just asking what stuff to bring from here....

thanks for your ideas

Dave

ANY positive difference, no matter how small you make in a kids life is NOT wasted. But as I said, the real key here is having someone the kid can play these games with. Good luck.

One of the reasons I love this forum is because on the one hand, I get yelled at for casually tossing a BG a few extra hundred baht and destroying the nightlife with its power. And then someone else gets yelled at for trying to buy a thoughtful gift for a BG's child because the gift is too small to be meaningful.

Hell of a big difference between a ton of punters foolishly tossing money around trying to get whores to be impressed, and gain their respect, and helping a kid out.

Tons of punters do make a difference on the nightlife...in fact it is why there is night life there. Tons of adults helping kids also has an impact on kids lives, and we should encourage this, we should discourage foolishly tossing money around spoiling whores. One punter does not make a difference on the night life, one person CAN make a difference in a kids life...got it now?

Hi,

Applaud your effort in trying to help, but I don't know how effective it will be. The biggest problem you may have to overcome is the kid's environment. From my experience Thais aren't all that interested in education. Many don't see much point in it even it seems, especially upcountry.

Sad really.

Sanuk!

Thats why I moved my step children's environment from Thailand to U.S. They went fromno homework to at lest 60 minutes of homework a night. The son has had the hardest time (his father is chinese and thinks his son can do no wrong) and as of 3 months here, is struggling the most. I'll do everything in my power (helping him with his homework every night, tutoring after school, tutoring durng summervacation) but, eventually, if he doesn't put out the effort or just gives up, I want him to know that sending him back to Thailand to his father is an option. And, while he wold like to see his father (I'm not sure that, since the father has re-married, the feeling is mutual), he knows what his life would be like in Thailand with only a high school education.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem I have with this thread is the title. It makes it sound like a sociology/psychology study with a hypothesis..

As stated, it professes of arrogance, superiority and divine intervention...

While the author probably didn't mean it as it comes off, I think something like "educational toys for kids idea?"....It would have been much more benign and less judgmental and condescending...

Leave predicted outcomes to the professionals...

CB

The problem I have with this thread is the title. It makes it sound like a sociology/psychology study with a hypothesis..

As stated, it professes of arrogance, superiority and divine intervention...

While the author probably didn't mean it as it comes off, I think something like "educational toys for kids idea?"....It would have been much more benign and less judgmental and condescending...

Leave predicted outcomes to the professionals...

CB

I bow down to your superior knowledge in trying to help a couple of poor kids maybe have a better life ,

Well really I think you are full of it , a little help is better than no help ,

I will do a little and work up from there.....

Dave

I said nothing about you helping kids. help a little, help alot, it all sounds great...

I just think your title is delusional..

Basically, you are saying BG kids are stupid, and i will intervene with same object/stuff and make them smarter and thus onto a better life...Okay

Just wondering, for every $$$ sent to BGs/families, what percentage of that dollar leads to a better life? Now that would be an interesting study...

As to ideas, what about a "slumdog Millionaire " program for Isaan? That would meet your stated hypothesis...

I personally vote for a tennis racket or a golf club...The average Thai cares much more about riches and less about smarts...

Why don't you ask them what they want/need rather than force your value system onto theirs? Just a thought...

CB

Archived