Do you baby talk your partner ?

gobbledonk

OK, pillow talk is one thing, but to speak to an adult on the phone like she is a four-year old is just ridiculous, IMO. Have to share a cubicle wall with a dufus who seems to be trying to placate a child, then you realise that its his *wife* ! Aaargh - doesnt seem to matter how far I turn the headphones up, I cant tune this f*cker out.

Granted, she is at home with the kid, but surely that is exactly when she would want to hear another adult on the other end of the phone, not freakin' Uncle Ernie .....

Have heard the same babytalk crap used with TGs, and its just bloody condescending. Mixing English and Thai is one thing, but addressing them as though they were retarded is, well, retarded ! :smirk:

Gobbledonk,

I just finished laughing and shaking my head. I know how irritating it is to hear someone do this, and guess what, I know I do it from time to time. It has become a joke with my friends because I can copy the thai, filipino and korean accents pretty well. I immitate the accent while saying the girls lines when recalling a conversation quite amusing really.

The sad part is I dont realize Im doing it sometimes when Im talking to a woman...its like the accent is momentarily contagious. I catch myself and turn on my normal voice.

It must come from the fact that their English isnt all that great and "we" (the ones who are guilty of this) think that we need to use words and phrases in a way they understand. It is bullshit, they're never gonna speak better if somebody is doing the goo-goo gaa-gaa crap all the time.

So get this, when I'm down in Pattaya hanging out with one of my usuals she looks at me with a crazy face anytime I'm speaking to another Westerner. Guess it sounds different.

There is a really annoying guy on youtube named "ThaiBB" or something similar. He makes videos talking to bar girls. His accent sounds Chinese with fake Thai mixed in. I thought he was Asian for the longest time until he made an appearance. Standard white guy. I thought to myself "Why the F-&* are you talking like that?"

Yeah, I guess I'm not so much talking about the broken English 'We go Emporium, OK ?' as the inane tone that often accompanies such a question. One of the TGs I know gets quite exasperated by it, and I've heard her tell her BF in no uncertain terms 'Just f*cking tell me what you want - you dont have to sugarcoat it !' or words to that effect. Some of them do play on it though - a sort of 'let the big, strong Farang think he is doing the thinking for both of us..'

BG friend of mine joked about this very same topic last trip. She was rattling off all of the "sweet" endearing terms she's heard: "sweetie", "dear", "sweetheart". It got to be a game with us taking turns throwing terms on the table. It stopped when she didn't understand "sperm bucket". :shocked:

HH

I don't even speak baby talk to babies. The guy is a cretin. Just as ridiculous are the Farangs who speak BG English to each other. :p

Yeah me either. My oldest kid had a vocabulary of about 180 words before he was 1 year old.

Not sure what was more amazing....his ability to speak or the fact that my wife counted them... :rolleyes:

Hi,

No, I either speak Thai to my wife (most of the time) or English. When speaking English to her I speak to her as I would to any of my friends. The only concession I make is to use simple words as her English is pretty crap. I always use full grammatically correct sentences though.

Sanuk!

Normal English all the time with the wife, anyone who has met her will tell you that her English is easier to understand than mine because of my northern accent :o

Sometimes I forget that English is not her native tongue and is only her third language after Thai and Chinese. One of her complaints to me is she may be able to speak English but does not fully understand it especially when I use idioms.

Just last week she stumped me for a couple of minutes when she aske me "What is the Differance between an Advisor and a Consultant?" (My reply of about USD 100 / hour was not accepted)

Whenever I got an overseas call from a bargirl friend while at work, it was time to get the hell out of the office for an immediate smoke break.

Didn't happen too often, but what happened a lot was drunk farang friends calling from the bars, which is even worse. 1AM in BKK would be about 10AM here. Invariably they'd pass the phone to a bargirl friend of mine.

It's a nasty combination, yelling over the bar noise talking to drunks (as if you were also drunk) followed by yelling baby talk. Doesn't go over well in a cubicle office environment.

I appreciated the kind thoughts, though! :)

Archived