Happiness: Experiences trump Toys

BrownFox77

Rekon the researchers could have just interviewed those of us making repeated LOS trips year after year...

Study presented to the "Society for Personality and Social Psychology" found that people spending their money on experiences were happier than those buying material objects.

from the article:

[color:blue]"Another reason for increased happiness in experiences, the researchers found, was that people felt a greater sense of vitality or "being alive" during the experience and in reflection, Howell said.

Howell's study builds on earlier work by Thomas Gilovich, professor and chairman of the psychology department at Cornell University. Gilovich and colleague Leaf Van Boven's seminal 2003 paper "To do or to have: That is the question" found similar results about possessions bringing less happiness than experiences.

"As nice as your new computer is, it's not going to make you feel alive," he said...

Experiences form "powerful and important memories that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world," Gilovich said.

[/color]

Study: Experiences make us happier than possessions

Will having both bring you even more happiness? :dunno: :thumbup: :evil: Lots of toys and experiences. Cool. Do sex toys count? Maybe buying cool sex toys and using them on pretty women of an immoral character, like really hot sluts, in your Ferrari would bring even more enjoyment and happiness? Just a thought. :grinyes::grinyes:

Recently seen a Maserati Grand Tourismo I wouldn't mind bonding with, however think I'll stick with Nit, Noi, and Lek. :devil: But if I had money to burn... :p

If I had to do my life over again, I would have traveled more, enjoyed life more, and maybe save a few ennies on the way.

TRUE STORY: some months after I got out of the Service there was a large photo on the front page of the Saturday paper of this Caveman looking guy living in a squatter shack in the mountains - his name was shown under the photo and it turned out to be an old buddy of mine from the Marines! (I would've never recognized him if his name wasn't there)

We were even on the Honor Guard together and here he looked like some Hippie version of the Unabomber (no offense to OH :D ).

By sheer coincidence, ran into him 2 days later: he just travels the world, no money, no credit cards, working short / odd jobs just for food / lodging. Although there was no "internet" back then, he was part of this subculture who all shared info on how to live and travel on next to nothing - just experiencing life (which is how he learned about those squatter shacks being rented (illegally) for near nothing on that mountain here in Hawaii).

He had already been to several countries. Got across Oceans somehow on Shipping Freighters - sometimes having to work onboard. He was quite happy and content and already had many stories of adventures, friends, and loves from his travels. He had no intention of ever "joining the Rat Race" and soon drifted off on his next travels.

Thought he was crazy at the time but always wondered how he fared over the years... wouldn't be surprised if he were living on a Beach in Thailand somewhere... :dunno:

Archived