Any fellow Yanks using Turbo Tax this year?

OK, I've used this for a decade, and it has been *awesome*.

But this year's version ("Home & Business") seems to ignore the living abroad stuff and there seems to be no way to force it to acknowledge that a) I'm an expat, B) the $87+K deduction, nor c) to use the Form 2555?

WTF?

Anyone? Am I missing something here? Or did the shitty new interface also fuck over us expats?

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD,

I am trying to, but am waiting for my son to scan and send me last year's tax returns. Like an idiot I forgot my copies of my copies I made in the states when I came back here in April last year (knowing I was going to try to do my taxes this year while here in Thailand :doah::banghead: ).

I want to do this with TurboTax, but also, so far, have seen no way to add my wife's US tax I.D. number (non-resident alien spouse). All it has shown me so far is a spot for a Soc. Sec. #, which she doesn't have. Had no problems last year doing it with Block. H&R Block also now has online tax services I have found, and there you can 'import' your other previous tax return info into your account if you have filed with them before (I have for many years) to help get it done correctly and quickly and have all the info available. Might use Block instead once I have my info here (should have it by Monday). I'll let you know if I use one or the other and if I encounter any problems along the way (most likely 'eh?). :)

Cent

Does anyone know of a decent tax preparer (for US taxes of course) in Bangkok? I have seen only one or two shown on the US Embassy website and there was fuck all for info on this. I checked a few other sites (Thaivisa has nothing really) and nothing was found by me.

Anyone have any info on this US tax stuff?

Just wondering, if the online sites do not work or work for what 'I' need then I would consider a tax service company to prepare (online) my tax returns this year (It would also give me an excuse to hit Bangkok soon :evil: ).

Archived