Head found hanging from Rama 8 bridge

Boo Radley

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The simple answer to your question is "no". The basic problem here is credibility - can you trust the police, the media or other authoritive source here?

Well, my basic answer to that is as follows: only when they report something against their interests and, even then, they might not get it right.

More fundamentally, if we can't trust the media in the first instance, can we trust later reports that suggest it was a suicide? A rhetorical question.

I am not saying this wasn't a suicide - rather, I am saying that because of the poor track record the authorities have here when it comes to these sorts of things, it's pretty hard to know what to believe. And this hasn't gone unnoticed by outsiders.

Thailand has really shot itself in the foot when it comes to Farang deaths - so much so that the legitimate media and foreign authorities are justified in suspecting foul play even when it really was a suicide. We have already seen plenty of matters labeled "suicide" when the facts, as reported by the BiB themseleves, clearly indicate otherwise.

In any event, no matter what happened, a life was cut short...RIP.

Before you cast too many stones at the Thai Police, you should be aware that in the USA, UK, and Australia, where police are highly trained and also paid a living wage and work pretty much without constant political interference; almost 40% of homicides go unsolved.

[Even in the US, UK, etc., where the police are] highly trained and also paid a living wage and work pretty much without constant political interference; almost 40% of homicides go unsolved

Not really casting stones at anyone. Simply saying reports about Farangs deaths here by the authorities are often extremely unreliable - often to the point of not making any sense.

If your claim about 40% of homicides in the US, UK and Australia going unresolved is true (and I am not doubting it), I think it helps explain why the problem is far worse here.

The police are certainly not paid a livable wage here. I doubt they are highly trainned. And they do work under political interference. Not mentioned, there is also a tremendous amount of corruption here.

Hence, we see reports about guys committing suicide in certain well known NEP area hotel by handcuffing their hands behind their back to a chair and then placing a plastic bag over their head.

The list of implausible suicides by foreigners in LOS is remarkably long. We pratically see a new case reported here every week. I don't recall ever seeing anything similiar to this when I am in the US, EU or Australia. The points you raise probably do help explain why this is the case, but can only provide cold comfort to foriegnors living, visiting and working here.

Archived