Headphones/Ear buds?

Big Kev

Everyone must own an I-pod at this point, as I am always very last to get into tech stuff and I just bought one! :grin: :grin:

Not real crazy about the standard issue ear buds that came with it, and I'm hearing from various know-it-all types around here that I need to spend couple of hundred US$ on Bose version, or sound elimination headphones, or this, or that, blah, blah, blah.

Anybody have suggestions for quality sound, fairly comfortable, not too much of a hassle ear devices to use with I-pod? And any thoughts about whether especially good deals available in BKK versus back in US?

Thanks, friends.

I also hate the standard issue ear buds that come with iPods...I have tried many, and I do like the Bose noise canceling blah blahs...problem is, they are so fucking expensive. My best advice would be to bite the bullet and buy the Bose, and make sure you don't get drunk and lose them like...er a friend of mine did...

While we are at it, I could use a recommendation on some speakers for my Macbook.

I also hate the standard issue ear buds that come with iPods...I have tried many, and I do like the Bose noise canceling blah blahs...problem is, they are so fucking expensive. My best advice would be to bite the bullet and buy the Bose, and make sure you don't get drunk and lose them like...er a friend of mine did...

Have to agree with the Hipster on this one.

I have purchased just about every size and shape headphone. A 16 hour flight is a long time. My music does help pass the time and block out other sounds/noise.

You don't have to spend a lot of money for good sound.

But all put some pressure on the ears. Whether in the ear or over the ear. I've had both.

The Bose is just the best out there for my ears. Both sound and ear comfort. I only use mine on airplane trips - so your needs may be different.

Just don't leave them around or 'forget' to take them when departing the plane.

It depends what you want, but it is nonsense for an average user to spend several hundreds of USD for earphones.

Anyway, if you really want to have a good sound and a full bass, you will need in-earphones.

Usable (but not great) in-ears start around 30-40 USD and they should come with differently sized sleeves for to find the proper ones which fit into your ears.

If you are really into good sound I would look for Shure in-ear phones (if you look around you will considerably lower prices than at the Shure homepage).

Additionally in-ear phones like from Shure are per se sound isolating, which is very nice for long flights, e.g..

On the other hand in-ears are dangerous to use while driving and for walking around (in BKK that is), because you won't hear other cars or bikes...

My next in-earphones will be will probably be the Shure SE310. Which can be combined (with an adapter) with an iPhone or Blackberry Bold.

I live on airplanes. I've went through Etymotics 6i and Shures E2c, similar to what Kamui spoke about. I liked the Etmotics but did not like the Shures -- they had to be placed just right to get the best sound, whereas the Etymotics were much more robust in positioning. I gave away the Shures.

But sadly the 6is got their plug ripped out of them when I was half asleep and decided to get up to hit the head on the plane :doah: .

Then I found my current set in Japan in Akihabara. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC3. Absolutely fuckin' brilliant! The noise cancelling works a treat, and they are super sensitive, so volume is never a problem. They come in a nice case, with an extension cord and an airplane adaptor. And a nice feature is a momentary contact button to shut off the sound and noise-cancelling if you need to talk to a hostie on the plane, for example. Should be able to find them for ~US$100. :up: :up:

Cheers,

SD

FYI, noise canceling enhances the sound of conversations and baby screams. It cancels the constant, unvarying noises such as the jet engine. :twocents:

Not likely. I got a kid and noise cancelling ear buds and It blocks out all sounds, including baby's and people talking.

I am a bit of a tight ass when it comes to money, and recently bougt the Sennheiser CX 400 II. It cost me â?¬60, and it has volume control, gold plated plugs, and a nice collection of buds to fit your ears. The sound is IMO well balanced and not bass driven as advertised.

If they don't do the trick, I would go for the Sure's as Kamui said.

Archived