But remember child, Jesus loves you...

Faustian

I'm so angry about this...

Another fine example of why religion is only practiced by the very very stupid. Good lord, how I hate religion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7926694.stm

Rape row sparks excommunications

By Gary Duffy

BBC News, Sao Paulo

A Brazilian archbishop says all those who helped a child rape victim secure an abortion are to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church.

The girl, aged nine, who lives in the north-eastern state of Pernambuco, became pregnant with twins.

It is alleged that she had been sexually assaulted over a number of years by her stepfather.

The excommunication applies to the child's mother and the doctors involved in the procedure.

The pregnancy was terminated on Wednesday.

Abortion is only permitted in Brazil in cases of rape and where the mother's life is at risk and doctors say the girl's case met both these conditions.

Police believe that the girl at the centre of the case had been sexually abused by her step-father since she was six years old.

The fact that she was pregnant with twins was only discovered after she was taken to hospital in Pernambuco complaining of stomach pains.

Her stepfather was arrested last week, allegedly as he tried to escape to another region of the country.

He is also suspected of abusing the girl's physically handicapped older sister who is now 14.

Intervention bid

The Catholic Church tried to intervene to prevent the abortion going ahead but the procedure was carried out on Wednesday.

Now a Church spokesman says all those involved, including the child's mother and the doctors, are to be excommunicated.

The Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, told Brazil's TV Globo that the law of God was above any human law.

He said the excommunication would not apply to the child because of her age, but would affect all those who ensured the abortion was carried out.

However, doctors at the hospital said they had to take account of the welfare of the girl, and that she was so small that her uterus did not have the ability to contain one child let alone two.

While the action of the Church in opposing an abortion for a young rape victim is not unprecedented, it has attracted criticism from women's rights groups in Brazil.

There is absolutely no way I could force or request someone to carry that baby to term with all tht has happened to her...and I'm a christian.

I think you would find a lot of people, christians included, who would not be opposed to that abortion.

The extreme fringe yes, but not the run of the mill fornicating, hypocritical, christian in name only or when it suits you types like myself...who are the majority ;)

Their own parishoners don't even agree with that. The catholic church heiarchy doesn't reflect the sentiments of the masses I think.

Also, they are farther 'out there' than protestants as well.

At least baptist (as well as other protestant) pastors can marry and have kids.

St Peter is claimed as the first pope. Yet he was married and had daughters. The celebacy requirement came about early in church history with the idea that priests should have no earthly ties. But several branches of the Catholic Church do allow priests to marry - with the condition that they can never rise in the hierarchy.

<< Eastern and Western Christian churches have different traditions concerning clerical celibacy. These differences and the resulting controversies have played a role in the relationship between the two groups in some Western countries. >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Catholic_Churches

p.s. Actually, Thais respect Catholic priests more than Protestant ministers, since RC priests here are celebate the same as Buddhist monks.

Hi,

"The celebacy requirement came about early in church history with the idea that priests should have no earthly ties."

And of course so that any of their wealth (inheritances) would go to the church on their death, making it rich beyond believe.

This article shows of some of the hypocrisy of the church as well as a hint out how much wealth it has:

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153_10.asp

Sanuk!

Archived