Travel insurance

khunsanuk

KS:

The list of accepted travel insurance companies is standard for all Schengen visas and I never found the said list on any EU embassy website.

Letter of guarantee: I am suprised they asked you as this is not the first time your wife travels to EU and you are a resident in LOS, anyway if the embassy asks for it then comply...only problem is if one has no relatives living in EU

Interview: It depends on the embassy (in fact on the farang head of visa section) -> most of the time the interview is your Thai lady alone but sometimes in couple...

But as you are married and not the first travel of your wife this is really odd, not even the French embassy does that for married couples.

Anyway, cheers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the crap...

I DID have to pay the visa fee even though I am 100% certain I did not pay it last time. Unfortunately I cannot find any info on their site about fee waivers.

Can't find a definitive ruling on visa fees, but there are several websites that confirm it:

no visa handling fee will be charged for applications by the spouse and dependants (under 21 years of age) of EU nationals http://www.netherlands-embassy.org.uk/passports/index.php?i=62

Schengen visas are issued free of charge to the spouse and to the children under 21 years of age of a European Union national. http://www.mediavisa.net/schengen-visa-fees.php

Hi,

Thanks for those links. Have emailed the embassy asking for clarification.

Not so much worried about the money, but it annoys me that the rules are never the same. I also was not happy with how we were treated by the Thai staff (as usual :( ) and have let them know this as well.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if the Thai staff is skimming these fees.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Ok, looks like it was correct.

The visa fee waiver only applies if I would take my wife to a country other than of which I am a national. So, if for example we would go to France, the visa fee would be waived.

Still seems stupid to me, but well...

Sanuk!

KS: Thai staff seems very unpleasant in every embassy...

Witnessed how they handle farang/Thai couples at the French and Belgian embassies -> really a bunch of ****

Like if every farang/Thai couple was a farang and his BG...

To the point I complained to the head of the visa section.

(and to my shame my family also complained officially to the embassy about the way the missus was treated -> like if she was a BG)

The local national staff in every embassy/consulate in every Asian country I have been to have been to varying degrees less then polite.

I have to say the worst was the Chinese in the Thai consulate in Guangzhou. Probably the least was the Malaysians at the US Embassy in KL.

TH

Archived