Fake Cuban cigars?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just bought four Hoyo de Monterrey coronations tubos. Upon smoking...

first of all:

please refrain from posting your crimes and illegal activities on public message boards! :neener:

you know exactly that smoking a cuban cigar is a crime for you as a obedient US citizen even if it is 8000 miles far from your beloved homeland! there is no coincidence that the US embassy in Bangkok has thousands of employees as they have to monitore how citizens like you behave!

second:

if you really need to commit such a crime, at least maximize your benefit and joy by purchasing some superior Havanna than the crap you bought.

the Tubos you bought are some of the worst Cubans you can get; the products of immature, perverted marketing imbeciles of Cubatabacco to generate cash from abroad.

third:

Hoyo de Monterrey is an old and excellent brand. the Epicure No. 2 belongs to the best Robustos together with the one of Cohiba. they have a similar band as the colored one you show in the picture!

excellent is also the "Le Hoyo de..." series in more than half a dozen formats, which starts with the Le Hoyo de mere, continues with Le Hoye du prince, du roi etc. and culminates in the Le Hoyo des dieux (the Hoyo for the gods!) in a corona grande format. they all have NO band and are only sold in boxes of 25 pieces!

you see it here: http://www.cigars-review.org/cigars/Hoyo-de-Monterrey.htm

the coronations have a bad rating; the tubos version is even worse!

i have only bought it from street vendors in Thailand or China if i have no better choice!

Fuck the US' stupid embargo. I am practicing civil disobedience.

When desperate, one does desperate things. Not much choice in backwater Philippines. The only shop I found had a small selection of tubo petit coronas -- Partagas (the one I had was vile), Bolivar (OK, but I like the Hoyo better), H. Upmann (way too mild), Romeo, Monte, and some Dominicans.

Your info is incorrect. Coronation is only tubo (and machine rolled :( ). There is another of the same size that is hand-rolled and is boxed. But I'd say for a small cigar, the "nice label" Coronation smoked pretty nicely -- these guys agreed, mostly. I'd buy it again, actually, *if* in the same position. YMMV.

Cheers,

SD -- the brown label was not as nice

When desperate, one does desperate things. Not much choice in backwater Philippines. The only shop I found had a small selection of tubo petit coronas -- Partagas (the one I had was vile), Bolivar (OK, but I like the Hoyo better), H. Upmann (way too mild), Romeo, Monte, and some Dominicans.

Your info is incorrect. Coronation is only tubo (and machine rolled :( ). There is another of the same size that is hand-rolled and is boxed. But I'd say for a small cigar, the "nice label" Coronation smoked pretty nicely -- these guys agreed, mostly. I'd buy it again, actually, *if* in the same position. YMMV.

Cheers,

SD,

If you are in the PI you could always grab a bundle of OH's favorite cigar, the Fighting Cock. :clown:

I may be in BKK checking on the house in April, if you'd like I could bring a box of "legal" Honduran or Nicaraguans.

BTW, have you tried the Pepin Garcia line of cigars out of Nicaragua?

Thanks Chuck, but supply no problem in BKK; I get them from my guy in HK. Great selection & prices (just bought 2 25-count boxes of Partagas Serie D No. 4s for US$296 delivered to my door).

The problem is when I travel. This trip has been extended two weeks from the one. Since I only brought three sticks for the original week (which is usually *more* than enough, as I only do 1-2 a week usually), I'm without now. Hence the search for something decent.

It has been an experience!

I am generally a Cuban guy, so I have not tried your suggestion. About the only non-Cubans I smoke (as I do not search out others, not a refusal to do so) are the occasional Perdomo and Padron 1964 (an excellent smoke!).

Cheers,

SD

When desperate' date=' one does desperate things. Not much choice in backwater Philippines. The only shop I found had a small selection of tubo petit coronas -- Partagas (the one I had was vile), Bolivar (OK, but I like the Hoyo better), H. Upmann (way too mild), Romeo, Monte, and some Dominicans.

Cheers,

SD,

If you are in the PI you could always grab a bundle of OH's favorite cigar, the Fighting Cock. :clown:

I may be in BKK checking on the house in April, if you'd like I could bring a box of "legal" Honduran or Nicaraguans.

BTW, have you tried the Pepin Garcia line of cigars out of Nicaragua?

I actually don't mind some Pinoy cigars, FC among them! A good cheaper alternative to the stale crap they sell here...some good deals with decent humidors as well...

Your correct about the humidors OH. Cohorts of mine have had some really nice humidors made at a Cigar factory outside Manilla, the humidors come packed with cigars inside. I'am not sure of the name of this factory but the humidors are much nicer than the cigars. I keep a humidor in my favorite pub in Seoul and use these philippine cigars for people who came and ask if I have an "extra" cigar they could get.

BTW: I have a Philippine cigar which is 12inches long and 100 ring gauge. I keep it as a novelty item, as I wouldn't want anyone to see me smoking this "donkey dick." What is interesting is that when I bring this stogie out to smokers the Korean chicks all want to hold it, it is still in the wrapper and they can't help but try to put their lips around it!! ;)

Archived