Do you ever get drunk and talk in a fake accent ??

Partyguy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once on a business trip to San Francisco we were trying to get into an exclusive restaurant that only took reservations. One of my coworkers who was also a struggling actor (everyone in LA is) faked a Brit accent and said he was the A&R for Geffen and I was his client.

The only time I did was at my soccer bar in LA. Some American girls come in there because they love UK accents (for some reason they ALL love scottish accents?). Anyway, a friend of mine wanted to talk to a girl and asked me along. Most of the guys are older and I was about the same age as him. He knew they wanted to hear guys with accents. He was from London and I was his 'wing man' so I pretended to have a cockney accent. A few of the regulars at the bar were cracking up. I tried not to talk as much and made sure to enunciate the 'T' in words instead of 'D' that us yanks use. 'Little' instead of 'liddle'. 'Bottle' instead of 'boddle'.

The first time I ever feared being invited back to her place or her to mine and having to spend the night (as well as the next day) talking like that. Thankfully I didn't. They gave us phone numbers. I declined to call mine later on.

Just a note on accents...which I suppose we all have...I recall a night at Woodstock where a group of us had gathered, and one guy (won't say from where) had such a thick accent, no one understood him! When he left, we all looked at one another and said "what the hell was he on about?" It was indeed that strong...or we all that daft...

I can live with most accents, but Kylie Minogue takes the cake for mine - I dont expect her to sound like Kath&Kim (thankfully ..), but the woman has an accent that only exists somewhere in the Atlantic halfway between Oz and England, yet has the audacity to call herself an 'Aussie'. Nicole Kidman is another who lost her accent on the plane to somewhere else. Neither would seem to have the excuse of being drunk either. ;)

. I tried not to talk as much and made sure to enunciate the 'T' in words instead of 'D' that us yanks use. 'Little' instead of 'liddle'. 'Bottle' instead of 'boddle'.

If you get in a taxi in Britain and say "Liddle" the driver will take you to "Lidel" a supermarket for people on benefits (wellfare) and be very careful about mentioning the fanny suspenders problem.

Cheers

Archived