Bar owner's crazy thinking

TroyinEwa/Perv

I can't wait any longer. I didn't know what to title this as it's nothing other than stupidity and I don't know how this owner intends to keep lady drink girls. Service girls aren't affected and neither are bartenders. After the meeting, 4 girls already quit.

Since I didn't get much response before what a barfine is really for, let's agree that it is, as Pom Michael said and I agree, to compensate the bar on loss of an employee during working hours.

This bar owner has done away with the standard monthly quota of drinks, to now, a daily quota of 5 drinks, with no carryover. For example, if Noi has 10 drinks today and 0 drinks tomorrow, she has not met her quota for the 2nd day. If she has 30 drinks today and 0 drinks tomorrow, she has NOT met her quota for the second day even though in both examples, she has far exceeded what should be necessary. Anyone see anything wrong with that? The lady then has to pay the equivalent of what she has not met out of her own pocket. Lady drinks in this bar cost 100 baht. If she has only 2 drinks, she has to pay 300 baht, etc. It is similar to the monthly quota but if you had a bad day or even week, you could make it up as the month progressed. This system, you either get your drinks daily or get out your wallet, if you're a bargirl.

Now the kicker.....if the girl gets barfined for say 3 days in a row or whatever, she's STILL responsible for her daily quota of 5 drinks per day for however many days she is barfined for. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

This owner has several bars and it is the same at all of them effective today, April 1st. This is not an April Fool's joke. This is a fact that my gf told me the "boss" told all the staff in the meeting yesterday.

Let's see how many more girls leave this bar for somewhere where it's not so dictorial. (If that's a even a word)

Edited per SD's request.......Morning/Night and all Hillarys. Spice not affected as there are no lady drink girls.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I hear something that crazy (but from what I read the "Arab" in SC could be as crazy)...

LD quotas: some places have quotas, others not etc...

The quota system used to work and be a reasonnable one (in most places) -> as we know that some BG are lazy....

Seems it got crazy, doesn't take into account the fact there are less customers, that LD prices can get crazy for many crisis hit customers....

But this one is over the top.

The usual quota I met -> a girl has to make xx or xxx LD (and sometimes barfine quota too) per month....

From what some bar owners (soi 33 ones as well as some sales ladies in G clubs) told me:

Barfine = way for the bar to compensate the "loss" of a girl.

Let's look at the income a bar get: (a gogo bar, beer bar, G clubs have all the same revenue structure, just on a different scale)

These bars don't get a cut for the ST/LT or whatever.

Revenues/incomes =

Drinks + food (if available) + barfines + miscellaneous (tobacco sold, ping pong balls etc...).

Barfine: If a place has no girls left -> customers will not come (except for the regulars coming for just the drinks)

Say there are some real "eye candies" at one place

G clubs push this concept a step further: providing better eye candies -> hence the girls task is to keep the customer entertained sop they keep drinking/eating -> generating revenues for the girls (LD) and the place.

Hence: Barfine serves two purposes: Generate additional (and welcome) income for the place, provide some additional income to the girls.

When I first arrived in BKK several years ago, Morning/Night and Hillary II were my favorite bars. I can't stand those places anymore because of the super-aggressive service girls (The service girls are much much worse than the bargirls).

What the hell is the deal with that 65 year old grandma harassing me for drinks at MN? Why is she still working there and what exactly is her job as she's not the mamasan. At least she has manners and always shows me the check before stuffing it in the bin but apparently she can't train the others appropriately.

Khun Maow seems like a shrewd business woman and I'm sure she has thought this through. It seems like she's given up on long-lasting customer loyalty and is now trying to generate as much short-term revenue as possible. I've seen this kind of action before... when an owner is planning to sell the company.

KM has just proven she likes the baht more than she cares for her girls. She has ALWAYS in the past been a seemingly great boss taking care of her employees. But this step just shows she will NOT lose money and in this case at the expense of her employees. Maybe a little bit of big business thinking here. Rather than ask the employees for a paycut like they do in the U.S., just force one on them through the "back door."

She must know what kind of behavior this will promote in the girls working for her. I met a guy who used to be a loyal customer who will not step foot into Hillary II anymore because it is just too expensive with girls we know asking for drinks the minute he steps in the door. I commiserated with him. We both know full well that we can always say no but for some people (like me) it's just more pleasant to find another place to drink.

Btw, having her employees wear shirts with her picture on the back saying 'we love KM' is just bizarre.

Add those to the list of places I won't be going to in the future...of course they are in the no-go zone (for me) of Suk between the highway & Asoke, so it won't change me life any.

Thanks for the info TiE.

Cheers,

SD

She must know what kind of behavior this will promote in the girls working for her.

Btw, having her employees wear shirts with her picture on the back saying 'we love KM' is just bizarre.

If she thinks the girls will be more aggressive, guys don't want that. Also, as I said above, 4 girls have already secured employment elsewhere on the very first day of this new shit. So I don't see what kind of an effect it will have other than negative.

Agree on the shirts....just plain weird.

I might have to take SD's way of thinking and just throw lower suk or at least Soi 4 out of the rotation.

Over these last years I have only been to the big mango (not in NEP anymore) to have a few cold drinks and play many games of pool -> as I found a good player there...Other than that I have only been to player.

Didn't set foot in a gogo, beer bar or bar in lower suk for many years...the "buy me drink" routine + some really unpleasant customers tend to repulse me.

SC + WS + G clubs + soi 33 = the right mix if you want to have your drinks in a relax way...

Have a nice setting, nice girls but not pushy at all, good barmaids -> then you could end up with a 20+ k bill in LD etc...just because you happened to find a good place

:beer:

Wow 5 drinks per day every day, that's tough, given that most girls are scheduled to work about 28-30 days a month that's 140 to 150 drinks a month total, 14,000 baht gross. How much of the LD do they allocate to cover the girls 'so called' salary? Do they have BF's too?

My current experience is limited to a one girl in a SC go-go where I think she said it's 8 offs and 50 drinks per month to score her 10k. She says she rarely meets it but the last couple of months more than half the girls in her bar have.

Sorry was in reponse to the OP not Drogon's statement

Archived