Hyperinflation at Nana Hotel?

Neon Ninja

Since when one hotel's prices are a good indicator of prices inflation?????

Especially if you consider the fact that one booking site's prices -> are not the same as another

(just compare for this month the prices for one hotel between 4 different booking websites, there is sometimes a 200-300% difference)

+ Thailand has low, high and now high-low season

+ Thai businesses are not known to be consistant in their pricing -> nor logical

A 50% price increase over 10 years? I don't find that really unusual in Asia.

Did the "cost of living" increase in LOS over the years? Yes sure, it is called inflation + social and economic evolution.

Now, I don't see the point for us foreigners to cry for a 500bht price increase...after all if we can't afford 500 bht I don't see the interest in going to LOS.

Not that I ever stayed at nana hotel but I find the increase quite normal -> especially if you look at the prices of some other others which went , in a few months, from 2K bht to 5K bht...-> this I call a really steep price increase....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting facts, I was under the impression that the Euro was not introduced until 2 Jan 2002!

That's true off course. But don't forget that the exchange rate of my currency, the dutch guilder, was already fixed against the euro in '99. Although I still paid in guilders, the currency was dead before the turn of the century.

The current economic crisis should have some effect on the p4p prices along Suckembitch Rd. Wasn't there an article recently posted on this forum that said something like prices were down from 2K Bt to 800 Bt in some places along Suckembitch Rd? (Personaaly, I avoid the area, perferring coastal resort areas).

Introduced one day earlier in fact.....as paying money.

But bookkeeping and bankpayments were done in Euro since 1999 already.

BB

Correct me if I am wrong (I often am) but I was under the impression that trade was in EMU's (European Monetary Units) Pre -02 not Euros. EMU's were utilised for long term multi-national projects and not for reserving a room at Nana Hotel or paying for a whore which is the metric of this thread!

no it was Euros

"The euro was introduced to world financial markets as an accounting currency on 1 January 1999, replacing the former European Currency Unit (ECU) at a ratio of 1:1. Euro (â?¬) coins and banknotes entered circulation on 1 January 2002."

(Wikipedia).

Since 1999 all participating European currencies were firmly and forever pegged to the Euro, the rate was not an exchange rate as it could not change anymore.

Just because most Europeans of hard-currency countries did not like this the governments pretended the old currencies still existed. So we could still hold paper in our hands which read "100 Mark" or "1,000,000 Lire" but really it was all Euros.

BTW stock prices were quoted in Euro since 1999.

Guys, stop looking at the USD or the EURO. Just look at the price comparison in THB...

We should however consider season: was it high season or low season on BOTH occasions when OP booked the room?

Just to contribute, I paid 1200 baht per night in 2007, low season. I did not argue the price.

Shitty, shitty hotel though, but great location :)

I took the girls to Nana then I went over to sleep at the Marriott next door.

Introduced one day earlier in fact.....as paying money.

But bookkeeping and bankpayments were done in Euro since 1999 already.

BB

Correct me if I am wrong (I often am) but I was under the impression that trade was in EMU's (European Monetary Units) Pre -02 not Euros. EMU's were utilised for long term multi-national projects and not for reserving a room at Nana Hotel or paying for a whore which is the metric of this thread!

Mekong,

A indicated already by others, the EMU is pre-1999, on jan 1st 1999 all participating Euro countries had their currecy fixed and pegged to the Euro, and the Euro was effectively introduced jan 1st 2002.

BB

BB

Thanks for the clarification, I did ask to be corrected if I was wrong, having been away from EU countries since late 80's I am not as clued up as you guys there.

I do remember circa 96-97 seeing bids from various European vendors all in the "same units" and wasn't aware that the Yoyo replaced the EMU as early as it did

Archived