Hyperinflation at Nana Hotel?

Neon Ninja

1997: 800/25 = $32.00US

2000: 1000/43 = $23.25US

2009: 1500/35 = $42.87US

US inflation from 1997 to 2009 was 37.235%, so those 32 USD in 1997 are equivalent to 44 USD today.

For Americans, Nana Hotel has actually gotten cheaper.

And for Europeans?

On April 4, 1997, 800 B were worth 26.50 ECU.

Inflation adjusted, if we take just German inflation rates of 21% since 1997 - the lowest in Europe - this would be 32 Euro today.

Today 1500 B are 33 Euro.

Thailand has become expensive!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still prefer the US $26.00 I was paying at the Nana Hotel back then.

Granted, my income has risen over the years. That's still no consolation for the high prices the Nana Hotel is charging presently.

But if one throws in the free drink at registration, the free buffet breakfast, and the free newspaper at my hotel room door . . . it's well worth it.

And if it's late at night, just walk out the door to the parking lot and I have a choice of a vast array of beautiful stunning companionship!

What more could any decent man want?

I guess it all depends where you come from:

Converted back into Euros based on the exchange rates at the time:

2000: 1000/37.85 = â?¬26.42

2009: 1500/49.41 = â?¬30.35

That's a price increase of just 15% for me. Not that I stay at the Nana, off course. :wink:

Interesting facts, I was under the impression that the Euro was not introduced until 2 Jan 2002!

And if it's late at night, just walk out the door to the parking lot and I have a choice of a vast array of beautiful stunning companionship!

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Thanks for that! I like to start the day with humour!!!!

Cheers,

SD

I'm just wondering if Thailand in general has almost doubled in price. (Obviously from my perspective as an occasional tourist who has USD.)

Thailand is certainly not the cheap spot it once was. In fact, I'd say it could be almost double in a lot of things from 1999 prices. Speaking from a baht point of view (look at petrol, food basics at the supermarket, market rate for pussy, etc). But Bangkok is also a much better, easier to live in place (in most ways) than in 1999.

Cheers,

SD

SD.....I would agree with your list except pussy. I can't say I've found it's doubled in baht since 1999.

Can we agree a fair price for a LT now is 2500? That would mean it was 1250 in 1999. Round up even to 1500 (cuz nobody pays 1250) is still a bit low back then, IMO. If I remember right, I still paid 2000B or more back then as the going rate, unless I was wrong. Maybe I was the one overpaying.

Without getting into a big over payer v cheap charlie thread I would still say your 2k LT was rather high for 1999? I certainly was'nt paying that in Bangkok in those days. More like 1.5K LT for a decent looking gogo bird and considered that to be fair and even quite generous at the time and I was still paying that same 1.5K LT 3 or 4 years later with no complants. Having said that with the high inflation they have had in Thailand recently I would say your current figure of 2.5k LT perfectly reasonable nowadays. I'm sure some guys might not think so, especially when they convert it back to their home currency. Especially if its £'s or A$ which have taken a hammering recently. But as has already been mentioned I don't think one can fairly compare exchange rates when looking at Thai price inflation.

Simie.

I'm with Simie, I think you were paying a bit over the odds back then. In 1999, market seemed to be 800-1000 ST & 1500 LT, whereas now it is 1500-2000 ST and 2000-2500 LT. OK, so LT not quite doubled, but harder to find.

And BFs were in the B300-400 range at gogos (remember Midnite with the B600 BF & room?). Now they are B600+.

Cheers,

SD

I guess it all depends where you come from:

Converted back into Euros based on the exchange rates at the time:

2000: 1000/37.85 = â?¬26.42

2009: 1500/49.41 = â?¬30.35

That's a price increase of just 15% for me. Not that I stay at the Nana' date=' off course. :wink: [/quote']

Interesting facts, I was under the impression that the Euro was not introduced until 2 Jan 2002!

Introduced one day earlier in fact.....as paying money.

But bookkeeping and bankpayments were done in Euro since 1999 already.

BB

Archived