Hyperinflation at Nana Hotel?

Neon Ninja

I recently stumbled upon a bunch of old receipts from my first trip to LOS back in 2000.

At the time I was paying 1000bt for a standard room. Fast forward to 2009 and I'll be paying 1500bt for the same room.

Converted back into dollars based on the exchange rates at the time:

2000: 1000/43 = $23.25US

2009: 1500/35 = $42.87US

Has everything else seen a similar price increase, or is just the Nana?

-=/NN

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Converseley exchange rates could be applied if using correct data (ie 97 when 25/$)

1997: 800/25 = $32.00US

2000: 1000/43 = $23.25US

2009: 1500/35 = $42.87US

So therefore the price decreased by 40% 1197-2000

and have only risen by 30% in the past 12 years.

Numbers and statistics can be used and manipulated do back up ones own point of view / argument

Whether its 30% or 50%, I agree that its a long way from 'hyperinflation'. Most accommodation in Brissie has doubled in the past decade, barring the odd special on a room here and there. I never cease to be stunned by how expensive it has become to live in an Australian city compared to 10 years ago - Sydney is the worst, but the others are doing their level best to pull alongside the Harbour City.

Re the 'cum on the walls' comment, I'm sure most of us read the news item from a couple of years back where they ran tests on bedspreads in several hotels across the US, and found the bodily fluids of a ridiculously large number of people. Given that married folk would, presumably, take the time to remove the bedspread, we can assume that either the hotel staff are enjoying themselves a little too much on the job, or said rooms are being used for a large number of short time encounters. Whatever the case, I try not to think too hard about how many bodies have collapsed on that bed prior to my arrival.

AFAIK, the Nana doesn't rent rooms by the hour, even if the girls on Soi 4 are happy to rent themselves a la carte. It is what it is, but we are kidding ourselves if we think that 'non-whoremonger' hotels are hygenically sealed for our protection.

Hi,

You can't really compare the dollar prices, can you? I mean the Nana Hotel obviously has no control over the exchange rate.

50% increase in 9 years? Don't think it is really all that odd.

Sanuk!

I know that, I don't blame the hotel for the exchange rate.

I'm just wondering if Thailand in general has almost doubled in price. (Obviously from my perspective as an occasional tourist who has USD.)

-=/NN

Whether its 30% or 50%, I agree that its a long way from 'hyperinflation'.

Ok, perhaps I exaggerated a bit... :surprised:

AFAIK, the Nana doesn't rent rooms by the hour, even if the girls on Soi 4 are happy to rent themselves a la carte. It is what it is, but we are kidding ourselves if we think that 'non-whoremonger' hotels are hygenically sealed for our protection.

Lol... but we KNOW what goes on in the Nana! :)

-=/NN

I guess it all depends where you come from:

Converted back into Euros based on the exchange rates at the time:

2000: 1000/37.85 = â?¬26.42

2009: 1500/49.41 = â?¬30.35

That's a price increase of just 15% for me. Not that I stay at the Nana, off course. :wink:

Archived