Advice for going solo on Sukhumvit?

Frank_Black

I'm not a big guy and have been walking alone in Sukhumvit a lot in the night time. I've been approached a few times by ladyboys near Asoke and they most likely have been after my wallet but just "get the f**k out of my way" stare at them have made them to back off.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always walk down Sukhumvit with a handgun stuck into my pants, but with the handle showing so they can "get the picture". If they don't spot it immediately, and move forward to hassle me in any way. I just stop, cross my arms and glance down at it. They get the message.

I always walk down Sukhumvit with a handgun stuck into my pants, but with the handle showing so they can "get the picture". If they don't spot it immediately, and move forward to hassle me in any way. I just stop, cross my arms and glance down at it. They get the message.

Why would you cross your arms? That adds to the time it takes to get to the weapon. And if some one grabs you from behind, you have just made sure you have to fight them off before you can get to your weapon. And if the guy in front is any good, while you are dealing with the bear hug, he is going to get the weapon from you.

Just an FYI for anyone who carries a weapon, crossing your arms is pretty moronic.

I always walk down Sukhumvit with a handgun stuck into my pants' date=' but with the handle showing so they can "get the picture". If they don't spot it immediately, and move forward to hassle me in any way. I just stop, cross my arms and glance down at it. They get the message. [/quote']

Why would you cross your arms? That adds to the time it takes to get to the weapon. And if some one grabs you from behind, you have just made sure you have to fight them off before you can get to your weapon. And if the guy in front is any good, while you are dealing with the bear hug, he is going to get the weapon from you.

Just an FYI for anyone who carries a weapon, crossing your arms is pretty moronic.

Thanks. I'll remember that next time. Or better yet, just draw the weapon and point it at the ladyboys as I approach the ATM. I believe in this posture they'll think twice about making any funny moves.

Well, anyone who is not a Thai and carries a weapon CCW-style in LoS is pretty moronic and I'm sure we'll read about him in the "News" thread. Another dead farang, at the hands of the MiB. The argument will of course be who's to blame...

Of course, our mate Wendella is obviously taking the piss since he has no knowledge of *how* to carry for effectiveness...

Cheers,

SD

Back to the subject, which I admittedly sloughed off as tourist BS.

This was at 0300-ish tonight.

A warning: crossing the bridge at Suk soi 23-to-18, beware of a k-toy hanging out on the steps of the even side.

Got the usual groping/hands to pocket treatment.

I know enough judo to do hand arrests/subjugations (which I did) and I was carrying a lit cigar (a great weapon, but unused here), so no issues for me. But there was also another one sitting on the steps of the car dealer at the base of the bridge. If the *two* were on the down steps of the bridge, it could have been trouble. And I'm a big guy (6'3", 250#).

Never seen this before. Maybe never will again. But worth a warning to the lads.

Cheers,

SD

Well, anyone who is not a Thai and carries a weapon CCW-style in LoS is pretty moronic and I'm sure we'll read about him in the "News" thread. Another dead farang, at the hands of the MiB. The argument will of course be who's to blame...

Of course, our mate Wendella is obviously taking the piss since he has no knowledge of *how* to carry for effectiveness...

Cheers,

SD

;) I thought the sheer absurdity of it would be the more obvious giveaway. Just being silly. No offense meant. By the way, I once saw a lady boy get into a confrontation with a German, and in a flash (s)he was suddenly holding her high heel shoe up in the air, which in that fraction of a second that I somehow missed had smashed thru the German's eyeglasses, with him bleeding from the face. It was like something out of Kill Bill. She was kind of hot too.

Archived