Advice for going solo on Sukhumvit?

Frank_Black

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but did you travel alone or with company?

Mostly alone. You know how FAR a walk it is from Cowboy or 33 to Soi 18 when with company! Actually, it was my first time in BKK and I was staying on Soi 18 while on business at the Glashaus Building across the footbridge when I was first warned about the katoeys.

'She was kind of hot too"?

Yeah, "she".

I'm sure everyone here wants to know all about

your gay prancings-about.

Ouch. Oh cmon, we've all seen them. Some of them get really good work done. There's usually at least one or 2 standing out in front of Nana who look better than 98% of what's inside. I'd think any man confident of his own heterosexuality would be able to admit that much. It's the one's who'd deny it I would wonder about. ;)

They've been lurking on the Soi 23/25 side of that footbridge for at least 10 years, that I can remember. Never encountered one on the Soi 18 side, though, and never had any real confrontation, in any case.

Ya, that side, especially where the sidewalk narrows. But I've not seen any there for quite a while.

And never on the even numbered side. So look out.

I wouldn't call what I had a real confrontation either. Its hand sliding toward my pocket, I grab the wrist and twist it around the back, and that's it. Never even really broke stride.

Cheers,

SD

most times you will be ok ,but its the usual pinch points where the katoeys hang out waiting like jackals. no doubt they do ok over the year with drunks and jetlagged punters who are robbed .Bernard Trink used to warn about them in the same places 20years ago so nothing has changed they are still around waiting to pounce on the unwary.i had trouble years ago in a dark spot near the old Thermae with 2 of them ,had to fight them off as there were 2 working me .if you have a katoey who has grabbed each arm you are powerless ,you have to use your feet on them .

Yeah, I've been in that part of Suk at 3am on several occasions and had no issues - it all seems to take on a more sinister feel after about 1am (bloody dark once you get past Soi 5 or so), and I guess I've just been lucky. For all the Katoeys on Soi 22, I've never had a problem there either - I guess the moral of the story is to avoid them at all costs. And grow a set. ;)

Archived