What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

" The Martian could have presented it's premise and its total dramatic trajectory in a 20-minute short-film,"

Whilst I reckon it was not too long (I am still awed by space, coming from an Antipodean background as I do), I did note the requisite amount of fist pumping, American flags (no Chinese) and "Science the hell out of it!" that a Hollywood movie, must have these days. A good yarn and smart people win the day.

There's a message in this movie, you mark my words...

Lobster was a good one - unsettling for a 40-plus guy with no wife or family, funny, depressing, clever - ambiguous ending, which you don't find often these days... though by the end it had been stretched a bit too far, I still enjoyed this one and recommend it.

Thanks for the tip, yes quite a good movie - twisted little script writer I'll warrant. Worth a watch I reckon.

" The Martian could have presented it's premise and its total dramatic trajectory in a 20-minute short-film,"

Whilst I reckon it was not too long (I am still awed by space, coming from an Antipodean background as I do), I did note the requisite amount of fist pumping, American flags (no Chinese) and "Science the hell out of it!" that a Hollywood movie, must have these days. A good yarn and smart people win the day.

There's a message in this movie, you mark my words...

Alright, I can amend: perhaps an entertaining alternative would be a short film-school-project kind of movie with less fist-pumping, leave-no-man-behind, flag-waving stuff - just: Man Left On Mars. Man Tries Valiantly To Science His Way Out of It, Makes Progress. Then Plans Go Awry, No One Comes to Save Him, and He Dies. Kind a "To Build A Fire", but with no, and on Mars. The message being - life is bleak and ends poorly, especially if you go to Mars and your friends leave you there.

Alright, I can amend: perhaps an entertaining alternative would be a short film-school-project kind of movie with less fist-pumping, leave-no-man-behind, flag-waving stuff - just: Man Left On Mars. Man Tries Valiantly To Science His Way Out of It, Makes Progress. Then Plans Go Awry, No One Comes to Save Him, and He Dies. Kind a "To Build A Fire", but with no, and on Mars. The message being - life is bleak and ends poorly, especially if you go to Mars and your friends leave you there.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about what you say, my only difference is that being from down here, I quite like all the tech and stuff. So not too long for me, I can watch rovers all day long. By way of comparison, there is one Tesla S car in NZ, one.

You are right about the fist-pumping, leave-no-man-behind, flag-waving stuff. And the token minorities are present also. My allusion to "the message" in this is that it's propaganda via Hollywood.

But as I say, lotsa good tech, only a few glaring science problems.

"because while Mars does have winds, its atmosphere is barely 1% of the density of Earth’s, meaning it could never whip up anything like the fury it does in the story." http://time.com/4055413/martian-movie-review-science-accuracy-matt-damon/

Nuff said

Winter's Tale (2014) - Colin Farrell, Jessica Brown Findlay, Russell Crowe and a surprising Will Smith as the Devil.

A bit of a chick/teen flick fairy tale, what with a magic horse and all, but a female lead who was gagging for it and a good effort by the actors, I enjoyed most of it. Worth one watch on a rainy day.

I finished watching Mars last night and to be honest struggled to get through it. "Iron Man principle" :rotl: :rotl: :rotl:

While these types of movies maybe entertaining to a point they are just too much about the might of the good old USA. Armageddon and Independence Day were another couple of examples. At least I now know I never want to visit Jordan.

Flash of Genius.....The true story of Bob Kearns and his years of legal battle with the Ford Motor Company over his patented design of the intermittent windshield wiper. Good story. Love it when the underdog gets up.