upgrade from Vista to XP possible?

iuytrede

Hi!

In any standard laptop it should be possible to nuke the disc and install XP from scratch. However if you use the XP standard release you might loose any proprietary application for that particular laptop.

ALHOLK

P.S. I have a laptop with Vista and can well understand why you wan't to do it.

as most new notebooks now come with Vista:

is it possible to have a new notebook with preinstalled Vista changed to XP?

i cannot do it by myself, im just a user, and i asked one shop (Sony at Tonglor) for the Vaio P, they cannot do it.

Actually, if you can wait a few months, I would not downgrade to XP but wait for Windows 7 which received excellent reviews and which has much lower hardware spec requirements than Vista.

The release date of Windows 7 is not fixed yet. It will be January 2010 latest, but due to the pressure from Apple and Linux it is expected to be released in autumn.

Hi,

there are some options, but it's not a general rule that you may be able to install XP on a new notebook.

There are notebooks that are sold with Vista business and the option to downgrade to XP pro, which will be included in the package and you get a proper serial for it.

Others don't even have Vista but some DOS or Linux installed. Quick look at support pages for these notebooks reveals that they do have drivers available for XP or Vista if you wish to install these. I helped twice to install XP on such notebooks. One Acer and one HP. That said, those notebooks sold with Linux or DOS are few and usually at the bottom end considered performance and configuration. Surfing, chatting, watching the odd movie (I was surprised it played a HD movie without stutter), listening to music, copy DVDs and CDs are tasks these notebooks are up to.

As others said before, not every notebook sold with Vista can be downgraded to XP. Quite often there are no XP drivers available for the hardware. Plus I won't recommend replacing a legal Vista by an illegal XP.

And again, others already mentioned it: Maybe wait for Windows 7. What I saw until now looks promising. Depends if you an wait another 6 month to buy the notebook and what you intend to use it for.

You can still buy xp preloaded from Dell online...I know as I work for them (not a commercial endorsement as I hate that fuckwit Republican owner Michael Dell)

It is possible to downgrade to xp, but there are driver issues so you would need to have some expertise to do so.

thx a lot

i need a notebook to use MS Word forms

at this time, only netbooks come with XP. I had one (eeePC 900) and threw it away, the performance was awful (they should give you some free antacids and prozac when you buy one) and everything else about it was awful too (heavy, bulky, super-short battery life,lousy touchpad, scrolling impossible, and so on)

but all the better notebooks come with Vista...

I will probably wait for Windows 7

Archived