upgrade from Vista to XP possible?

iuytrede

As mentioned above, there is a possible issue with drivers, but the main issue you will run into (if you use a legal or illegal version of XP) is that the XP loads through SP2 (I am not sure about SP3) did not have SATA support. So...., if you have a newer desktop or laptop, most now come with SATA drives, and you simply load your XP/Pro build (after changing bios to load from CD of course), you will get a message like no hard drive, or hard drive not found. You can get over this by getting SATA support (from various vendors) and feeding it to the install stream process. Do a google on xp install sata support. In some cases, you may have to disable native SATA support in the bios as well. If you don't understand what I am talking about---then don't attempt this and either take the computer back, get a professional/knowledgeable person to help you, or wait for 7.

This all being said, having multiple PC's on both Vista and windows, my question is "what is the big issue with Vista?" Unless you are dependent on XP only programs (and there are a few that unfortunately I cannot run without upgrading to a new release that the vendor may or may not give you free), what is the issue? Vista has some aggravating aspects-- most of which can be turned off or disabled or changed. There is certainly enough written about this on the web. If you need to run Word, etc, gee, it runs the same. If you need to go to the web, do e-mail, gee, it runs the same. Just do it.

This all being said, having multiple PC's on both Vista and windows, my question is "what is the big issue with Vista?"

Vista is just too slow and often annoying (the user management), especially notebook users are not happy with Vista - that's why Dell and other PC makers still offer notebooks with Windows XP.

Actually Windows 7 is not a real new version of Windows, but a refurbished and upgraded version of Vista. Many reports say that Window 7 is how Vista should have been in the first place...

Yes, unless there are drivers on the downoad page for the notebook (on the manufacturers support pages) one shouldn't try.

The biggest troublemakers are Wlan, Bluetooth, Webcams and Touchpad.

As the drives are controlled via the chipset it's usually no problem to get the right drivers from the support pages of the chipset manufacturers. Intel, AMD, Nvidia. Either set the drives to SATA-IDE compatibility mode so you won't need additional drivers to access the drives, or set them to SATA-AHCI and load the drivers by pressing F6 during setup. Problem is, XP only accepts these drivers from floppy, which most notebooks don't have. Or use another computer and the nlite project to include the drivers into the setup disk.

Actually, 99% of the notebooks users won't use the advantages of the SATA-AHCI mode so you're better of to set the drives in BIOS to SATA-IDE.

They explain AHCI much better than I do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

This all being said, having multiple PC's on both Vista and windows, my question is "what is the big issue with Vista?" ... If you need to run Word, etc, gee, it runs the same. If you need to go to the web, do e-mail, gee, it runs the same. Just do it.

interesting

actually, i found this too: i took a vista notebook (Vaio P), tried whether it can do what i want to do (filling a word form and sending and receiving email) and yes, it works - a bit slow, but much better than eeePC

its just that everybody who knows more about IT than I (and thats a lot of people :( ) tells me Vista is shit...

Vista would have one big advantage: gf is scared of Vista :content:

I'm about to replace my aging notebook with a new desk top system ans my biggest fear is that it will not only come with Vista, but the Vista will be dodgy.

The chance of any local suppliers having a genuine copy will be nil.

I'm about to replace my aging notebook with a new desk top system ans my biggest fear is that it will not only come with Vista, but the Vista will be dodgy.

The chance of any local suppliers having a genuine copy will be nil.

My PC is running on a hacked version of Vista since a year or so.

Actally Vista itself is not hacked, but during the start up a small piece of software tells Vista that it is running preinstalled on HP PC and doesn't need to bother with serials e.g.

;)

Recently MS has announced that it will invalidate this hack.

Anyway, I am desperately waiting for Windows 7 and might even purchase Windows for the first time in 20 Years...

Archived