New ATM fees

shygye

a lot of bank retail customers have neither loans nor investments!

and those are the ones that shout most about the fees.

i have negotiated with one of my bank a deal, where i pay zero fees on most of the transactions and get a 30-50% discount on normal fees. I am a loyal customer for 30 years though and have committed that i use them as my main bank.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the bank SAVES money by customers not queeing up inside brances taking valuable staff time to withdraw money!!!

furthermore they card issues charge their customers for various atm usages e.g. if using another banks atm be it domestically or internationally.

so IF Thai banks now decide to charge a DOUBLE fee on visiting foreign cards in their atms well then it's INDEED A SCAM or please show me any other country that will do that to visitors?

I'm afraid you can't coz no other country does!!!

When ATM's first came out, there were no fees, for anything. No limits on number of transactions. If I wanted 5USD, I could actually take out 5USD. The purpose was convenience to the customer and to save the tellers time so they could serve the people that just weren't putting money in or taking it out.

That has all gone away, obviously. You can do so many other things with these machines now. When I lived in Hawaii, the Bank of Hawaii actually had machines that would allow you to buy airline tickets on Hawaiian Airlines.

Maybe they should just get rid of all the shit you can do with them, get back to basic withdraw and deposit money only and maybe then all the fees could disappear cuz the service it offers would be less.

Edit....I forgot to mention. With all the things one can do with them, isn't it frustrating standing behind the doofus who is doing his monthly updating and paying bills or whatever the fuck he's doing? My point again, change the name of the machine from an Automated Teller Machine to a Cash Withdrawl/Deposit machine.

I really do hate these banks and their predatory fees. 150 baht is bullshit. How exactly do they justify all these fees, not just Thai banks, but all banks. Seems the convenience of a cashless society will make us all poorer and the banks richer. Cunts.

What annoys me the most is that it is actually allowed for banks to work together to raise their fees simultaneously. That is highly illegal in Europe and I'm sure the states as well. Free competition, anyone? Nah, let's work together on squeezing the tourists out of their money. If we all do it, there's no escape for them.

This was always a fun frustration when I was standing behind somebody while waiting to make an ATM withdrawl.

Because its not that complicated a process. Card in...type PIN, choose account, select withdraw, select amount...collect money. No possible reason this process should take more than one minute.

But, for some reason, it seemed the people in front of me were always completely baffled. Staring in confusion at the screen, seemingly randomly pushing numbers, repeating the process several times before finally collecting the cash with a surprised look like they had no idea that would be the result of their ATM experience. Funny, now, but so annoying when you have things to do. Happens in the states sometimes too...but nothing like in a mall in Bangkok.

This was always a fun frustration when I was standing behind somebody while waiting to make an ATM withdrawl.

Because its not that complicated a process. Card in...type PIN, choose account, select withdraw, select amount...collect money. No possible reason this process should take more than one minute.

But, for some reason, it seemed the people in front of me were always completely baffled. Staring in confusion at the screen, seemingly randomly pushing numbers, repeating the process several times before finally collecting the cash with a surprised look like they had no idea that would be the result of their ATM experience. Funny, now, but so annoying when you have things to do. Happens in the states sometimes too...but nothing like in a mall in Bangkok.

Maybe you can find some consolation in the fact that it could well be that one of these poor buggers got taken to the cleaners in this ATM scam.

Hi,

Remember an incident not so long ago. Went to the local Lotus to use the ATM and get a bit of shopping.

When I got there two teenagers (boy & girl) were using the ATM. I got the impression from their conversation they were trying to transfer money. After waiting for maybe 3-4 minutes they were kind enough to pretend that they were done and stepped away from the ATM, allowing me to do my business. I had to transfer money as well, took less than a minute.

As soon as I walked away they returned to the ATM. I went into Lotus, did my shopping and when I left after several minutes, the 2 of them were still at the ATM trying to figure it out.

Not sure if they ever did transfer that money :)

Sanuk!

Archived