News Media and Swine Flu

preahko

This humorous post from the Absolutely Bangkok blog really tells it like it is:

World Media Soldiers on as Killer Virus Destroys Humanity

Reporters performing selfless acts of heroism while global civilization collapses before their eyes

THE SCARY WORLD â?? Wire agencies, newspapers and television networks have continued to bravely produce journalism in spite of overwhelming evidence that man will be extinct in only a few weeks.

As the swine flu reaches â??pandemicâ? proportions and â??spreads quickly around the globe,â? reporters, editors and producers have heroically continued to perform their daily duties as if they themselves will not be consumed by the very â??outbreak of the easily transmitted, fatal diseaseâ? on which they are reporting.

â??Itâ??s courageous really,â? said media analyst Tom Becker of Northwestern University. â??Journalists throughout history have gotten a negative rap, but now, in the moment when the world is coming to an obvious end, they will go out as selfless messengers who without hesitation or fear delivered us this bad news.â?Â

Many people about to die everywhere agreed that the media deserved praise for their stoicism. Said one: â??Every day, when I read about the impending decimation of populations around the world, and indeed about my own imminent death, I am in awe of these reporters who just carry on as if there will still be a tomorrow.â?Â

â??Imagine the focus it must require to write or edit copy when you know better than anyone that weâ??re goners,â? said another person whose days on this earth were clearly limited. â??Most people wouldnâ??t bother. Theyâ??d be with their family or friends, or in Vegas or something, but the journalists â?? what do they do? They get up and they go to work.â?Â

Members of the world media are being typically humble and reserved about what is without a doubt the biggest story of their careers.

â??This is not about me, Christiane Amanpour,â? said CNNâ??s Christiane Amanpour.

Amanpour also denied that swine flu was being overblown by the media due to a bad economy and desperate need for increased circulation, revenue and relevance.

â??That doesnâ??t make sense,â? she said. â??Given that a Mexican toddler has just died in Texas, itâ??s pretty clear that the extinction of the human race is just around the corner. So let me ask you: Once we are all dead, how would the billions in extra advertising money help us then?â?Â

Link

What will amusing is if the virus mutates only a little and then we might really have a serious outbreak. This could happen at any time, that's the beauty of evolution....

Yes, but let's also remember that even in a "serious outbreak" like the Spanish Flu of 1918, 72% of the world's population DID NOT GET THE FLU, and of those who did get it, OVER 90% RECOVERED.

Um...didn't we have a "Swine flu epidemic" under the Ford administration? As I recall, it sort of fizzled out.

FYI, the P.C. Brigade is now calling the n1v5 or some such shit virus, so as NOT to offend muslims and Jews or some shit...

Strange diseases come along now and then, but soon vanish. There was a "black measles" epidemic early in the American Civil War. It ran through the camps of both armies, killing thousands. As far as I know, it has never returned.

There was the Spanish flu during WWI which killed millions of people in Europe and North America. The Spanish flu killed especially the young and healthy.

That's the kind of pandemic the scientists really fear. For them it is not the question if a pandemic will happen, but when...

The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920,[2] spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that [color:red]anywhere from 20 to 100 million people were killed worldwide[/color],[3] or the approximate equivalent of one third of the population of Europe,[4][5][6] more than double the number killed in World War I.[7] This extraordinary toll resulted from the extremely high illness rate of up to 50% and the extreme severity of the symptoms, suspected to be caused by cytokine storms. The pandemic is estimated to have affected up to one billion people: more than half the world's population at the time.[8]

For the very cynical, that would be the easiest way to solve over population, but of course this bring the world wide economy down completely for a very long time...

Archived