Thai people and skin pigmentation

KimDidMeGood

76r: Julian Bond / Tom Waits, Brick

Black Perspective

.....Garrett Morris

.....Julian Bond

[ title slide: "Black Perspective" ]

Garrett Morris: Good evening, and welcome to "Black Perspective". I'm your host, Garrett Morris. Tonight our guest is Mr. Julian Bond, and we'll be talking about the myths surrounding black I.Q. Specifically, the myth that whites are inherently more intelligent than blacks.

Julian Bond: Good evening, Garrett.

Garrett Morris: Now, Julian, perhaps you could explain something to me. In all these studies comparing black I.Q. to white I.Q., what kind of test is used to measure I.Q.'s in the first place?

Julian Bond: Well, this is the major problem with these studies. The measurements of I.Q. which form the basis of comparison come from tests composed by whites for whites. The tests are culturally biased; it's not surprising that whites would score better than blacks.

Garrett Morris: Could you give us an example of what you're talking about?

Julian Bond: Certainly. Here are some questions that have appeared on recent I.Q. tests. Number one: "You have been invited over for cocktails by the officer of your trust fund. Cocktails begin at 4:30, but you must make an appearance at a 6:00 formal dinner at the Yacht Club. What do you do about dress?

A. Wear your blue-striped seersucker suit to cocktails and change into your tuxedo in the bathroom, apologizing to your host for the inconvenience.

B. Wear your tuxedo to cocktails, apologizing to your host for wearing a dinner jacket before 6:00 PM.

C. Walk to the subway at Columbus Circle and take the "A" Train uptown."

Garrett Morris: Uh.. I guess I'd choose the last one.

Julian Bond: I'm sorry, that's incorrect.

Garrett Morris: Damn.

Julian Bond: Here's another: "When waxing your skis for a cross-country run, you should..."

Garrett Morris: [ interrupting ] Well, I think I understand the problem with the tests. But the fact is that people have been saying that white people are smarter than black for hundreds of years. We've only had I.Q. tests for 20 or 30 years. How did the idea of white intellectual superiority originate?

Julian Bond: That's an interesting point. My theory is that it's based on the fact that light-skinned blacks are smarter than dark-skinned blacks.

Garrett Morris: [ not sure he heard that right ] Say what?

Julian Bond: I said I think it might have grown out of the observation that light-skinned blacks are smarter than dark-skinned blacks.

Garrett Morris: I don't get it.

Julian Bond: It's got nothing to do with having white blood. It's just that descendants of the lighter-skinned African tribes are more intelligent than the descendants of the darker-skinned tribes. Everybody knows that.

Garrett Morris: This is the first time I've heard of it.

Julian Bond: Seriously? It was proven a long time ago.

Garrett Morris: Well, I still don't quite understand. We're out of time right now, but perhaps you could come back on the show again and explain it further.

Julian Bond: There's very little to explain - it's just like I told you.

Garrett Morris: Well, we are out of time. Good night. [ to Julian ] If you could repeat it just once more...

[ pull out, with SUPER: "It's 1977 -- Do You Know Where Your Children Are?" ]

[ fade ]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tua dam - or Tor (Body) Dum (Black)

e dam" (black girl) - My gal calls her youngest sister this all the time. But she calls me I-Uan so not sure what is worse!

(black like a duckâ??s liver) - dam tap pet: will try this one, thanks.

(Well that one didn't work very well - the girls told me it should be Dam Bak Pet - Black as the Duck's beak (mouth)).

?????

Interesting...hadn't heard that one before. But Google is your friend:

Link

Cheers,

SD

But Google Translate isn't so friendly....

....... Why trigger to be addicted to the heavy Twar "pumped Taewdm"

This popular term than taking the 60 years from the origin. Man who has the nickname "Mr. Taewdm" a whimsical children with the news that appear in newspapers daily that Sri Krung Issue 20 June 2478 The details are that

....... On 18 times this month 18 am R.t.t. go �า Willis is faithful at the police station to nab Mr. Pgamprab pot model or at �าสุ� said parish lane Taewdm beansprout District Pgamprab to investigate the Pgamprab station.

....... Why he was Taewdm pot model or at the touch of the old row house that R.t.t. go see Rent. Mr. Taewdm rent is a boy from 10 to 16 years in the room doubt that boy so many of them. Children are at Conduct in fraudulently issued R.t.t. pursue the investigation of 2-3 days so that people do not have a wife Taewdm said. And the children persuade men to see movies? Buy toys? To eat sweets? à¸Âัà¸? then take the home of Mr. Taewdm orgasm is done to bring the boy. And then. Children will create them. Get guests to masturbate? Magnate and Chinese? à¸?à¹?าà¸?à¹?า those who must pay the award. To Taewdm said. Like tarts.

Then the word "Taewdm" is becoming known throughout the lexicon.

....... And then the word "Taewdm" is becoming known throughout the lexicon that means take the equation Twar hard early in the year 2541 when the news official nickname is "stinky" improperly made. newspaper boy is a word "obese" instead of headlines that is the meaning of words will stay popular fight "Taewdm" or not, we must continue to monitor à¸Âัà¸?.

Michael is not Thai.

But onto the Thai. I know plenty of Thai ladies that do not wish to be out in the sun. Umbrella is used on sunny days to keep sun out while walking outside.

Look at all the actors in the Thai TV soap operas. Interesting. Yes, I do watch Thai soap opera tv shows wilst in LOS.

It is actually a scoio-economic statement. The darker skinned people are usually labourers/farmers (and are therefore less affluent), who work outside and get tanned by the sun. If you are light-skinned, you have an office job and are of a "higher class."

Just exactly the opposite of the West -- tanned people are considered more affluent because they have time to laze about in the sun on holiday instead of working an office job. But still the same thing.

And of course, some folks are just naturally lighter or darker, and are therefore advantaged/disadvantaged by this populist metric. That's why I say populist, as opposed to scientific.

Cheers,

SD

IMHO, you hit it right on the nail.

And let me add I appreciate that you didnt go along with the usual preconception that "all Isan folks are dark skinned". ;)

It just comes with the territory, and by that I mean their occupations, many exposed to the sun on a daily basis.

Actually, the most dark skinned people I ever saw in Thailand were invariably the southeners. Deep south.

And still one may argue, is that due to their heritage or simply because they dont give a hoot about their skin color? I`ll stick to the first option.

cheers

hn

A friend of mine has a Thai wife, so they have several of those entertainment magazines from Thailand floating around their house (These are the Thai equivalent to People magazine/US Magazine...)

Out of boredom, I picked one up and leafed through it. I was really amazed at the photos...

None of the people in there looked like Thais that I was familiar with from being in the country.

It seemed that everyone in that magazine looked like Japanese albinos! Nobody in it was even slightly tanned!

-=/NN

Archived