How did you get a job in LoS?

For those who are employed by a firm in Thailand, I'm interested to know/understand the process of finding/getting the job.

Did you have to stay in Thailand a long time before getting a job? Or is it fairly manageable do get the job from abroad?

Did you already have a network of contacts in Thailand before settling there?

Any other tips?

KDMG, since you may not know I work in Oil & Gas Industry.

First time (1991) had completed previous contracting projects in South Korea and Japan and opportunity arose in Thailand. That lasted until 1997 and the crash when work started to dry up here but by then I allready considered Thailand as home.

Second time in 2001 was a short term (9 month) contract, literally speaking to a guy in a pub he gave me his card and I sent in resume within a week interviewed and working.

Third time, August 2005-August 2008, I "Knew" the current / projected workloads in Thiland at the time so literally drove to the offices of a MNC presented my resume and told them "You Need to Hire Me" and they did, reason contract was not renewed last August was due to drop in oil prices and the start of global recession, may new projects put on hold globally as well as Thailand, one Farang Engineer = three Thai Engineers cost wise so the company did not renew contracts of "Local Employed" Expats.

Currently I am working in Partnership with guys in Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, UK and Canada providing consultancy services to the Industry, the Thai subsidruary is fully owned and operated by me. When we have work it pays well (USD 250 / hour) but unfortunately not able to pick up enough work to make it really tell at the moment (again the recession and knock on effect in the Industry) so on Sunday I will on a Flight heading off to Qatar. I will still keep the Thai company running, I can give input to partnership from remote and work a few hours / week on it and I will also be back in Thailand 2 weeks out of every 10 so I could schedule in client visits / meetings then if required.

So back to your initial questions, for the Second Job I picked up it was probavbly a result of the fact I had worked here previously and also was based here, the third one was definatley through a network of contacts and also living here.

Living here long term and being in a stable relationship / marriage makes one more attractive to a potential employer than a single man who's only experience of Thailand is maybe 2-3 vacations here, you will be surprised the number of people I have seen over the years who have been offered decent packages to work here and within 2-3 months have totaly lost the plot and have had contracts terminated.

Living here long term and being in a stable relationship / marriage makes one more attractive to a potential employer than a single man who's only experience of Thailand is maybe 2-3 vacations here, you will be surprised the number of people I have seen over the years who have been offered decent packages to work here and within 2-3 months have totaly lost the plot and have had contracts terminated.

I am surprised the hear this. I LOS really that 'dangerous' for males?

By the way, were those men who lost it all singles?

Majority were single males,

We had an incident18 months ago where a farang was stabbed in the stomach numerous times by his jealous farang wife, his crime was watching sport on TV and drinking with the boys it could have been attempted murderbut it was covered up.

On a whole Farang with Thai wife or farang on full family package are less likely to cause issues!

Archived