Where have all the posters gone?

Low season, fewer newbies and an abundance of LOS related informational sites probably all play a role in the reduction of posts.

Throw in the fact that you have a few know it all's who shoot down any views that differ from theirs and their band of followers who then pile on, its not really a surprise.

It certainly wouldn't hurt if we had more posts from people like Firey Jack or others who are quick witted. Likewise there have been several posters who were gifted writers (sorry their names escape me at the moment) who would elicit responses no matter what the topic. I think that without the infusion of new blood, a board needs to rely more on creative posters like this.

Controversial subjects and posters also help although its entirely possible they are not worth the headaches they cause. I don't think that its any accident that posts about the Eden Club or threads started by the likes of Frede (both of which have been banned) for example generate many responses.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot has to do with the economy in general and the "social networking" sites like Facebook getting a lot of people hooked in. I have a tourism website in the USA and traffic is down 50% below this time last year. Also, it's becoming more difficult to come up well and/or frequently in the search engines than it used to be.

Now, Twitter is the big thing (though frankly, I could care less) and everyone seems to post there instead of at discussion boards and blogs.

i tend to use a PDA& WIFI more now instead of firing up the PC so that means i dont post as much as i used to to numerous forums .i guess software needs to be more PDA friendly .

But some guys have malaise about LOS and bad-arse BGs now and go elsewhere . There just arnt forums for Brazilian women and mongers ..

Well, I'll make my first post in over a year then!

After moving back to Australia, I was just "Thailand-ed" and "sanook scened" out and needed a complete break from the whole thing - and that included reading about it too.

I felt jaded, cynical and "tired" of the whole sanook scene when I moved back and it wasn't helping reading about it.

I just wanted to concentrate on getting things happening here and focus on my work and my relationship with my gf here.

A lot of the posts were just the same-old same-old going round and round, and the board didn't seem fresh and had lost its appeal as far as I was concerned.

Basically, it was just time for a break, but I might post the occasional thing every now and then in the future and call in and have a look from time to time.

I'll be back in LOS in August for 3 weeks, so hopefully will be able to meet up with a few of you again for a beer if you still do Friday afternoons.

There are some very cool guys I have met through being involved with this board.

Nice to see you MooNoi....you have been missed. Completely understand your reasons, I guess it happens to us all eventually. I keep posting because I like the board and the people on it, I'm certainly not a regular partaker of sanuck...I sincerely hope you rejoin the fray.

In the meantime, good luck with everything you do.

Thanks, Faus!

Appreciate your comments.

Yes - glad you understand.

Certain things happened in my life that meant I just needed to take a complete break from "all things Thai" just to get my head together again.

I guess it can happen to all of us at one time or another.

See you around!

The economy has been a bummer for me. But I still think there is still a lot that can be said about Thailand that hasn't already been said before.

The recession hasn't done me a lot of good either.

Of course their is a lot left to say about Thailand. The problem is that if the wrong poster says it the reactions fom some will be auch as:

• You don't live here so shut the fuck up sex tourist.
  • I have hiso friends so I know more than you, piss off.
  • I have been coming here for 10 years so I know more than you(I have been going to Thailand for 27 years). :D

My two cents:

- as other said, I presume the number of Western males going to LOS went down in recent years (while the numbers of Asian tourist increased).

- when I became a member of the board as total newbie I made the typical newbie posts (like my girl is different :content: ) and received very friendly and helpful responses. I kinda felt at home immediately. Since some time I have the impression that the welcome by old timers is much less friendly.

- And of course the more cliquish atmosphere makes it harder for newcomers to feel welcomed neither.

- Also the dimishied discussion about nightlife, BG's, relationships to BG's e.g. gives newbies much less incentive to stick to board.

BTW this reminds me that I recently discovered some great old threats about topics I just mentioned. Maybe we could put up a top ten of great threads and put it as a sticky in the newbie section?

:thumbup:

Archived