Where have all the posters gone?

Isn't that an area a mod or two would handle for you anyway? You don't have to read the nightlife areas (others surely will) but delegate some mods to keep an eye on it for you and let you know of any problems needing fixing. 360 includes/means the nighlife stuff as well does it not? It's there already, just dying a slow death.

Or, another idea, sell/rent/use the Nanaplaza.com board and have all sexual content there instead of here? An idea maybe? Split it off to that board (which is still accessable and maybe easily upgraded?).

Just thinking aloud.

Hire someone to sell advertising for both sites (sex sells and sex ads pay), and without the sexual content on 360 it may be easier to sell advertising for other areas of Thai related services? A couple of retired expats on commission could gain some income selling your ads for both sites maybe? One doing ad sales for commission for Thai360, another for Nanaplaza.com. Could work and gain you income as well and gain income for these salesmen. A percentage of the ad sales, a good percentage, may be worth someone's time while out and about anyway to do for you.

Cent

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Isn't that an area a mod or two would handle for you anyway?"

As is the case now. Soongmak is suggesting a switch to fully focus on nightlife and get rid of all/most of the other topics.

"Or, another idea, sell/rent/use the Nanaplaza.com board and have all sexual content there instead of here? An idea maybe? Split it off to that board (which is still accessable and maybe easily upgraded?)."

I have considered this in the past, but I think that many people here like the fact that all (within reason :) ) topics can be discussed on one board, rather than having to read 2 or more boards. Splitting the nightlife off to a separate board could very well result in a drop of traffic for both.

Sell NP.com? Sure, anyone want to make me an offer?

"Hire someone to sell advertising for both sites"

The problem I see here is that the amounts are very low. We charge 2,500 Baht for a 1-month banner ad, displaying it 50,000 times. Even at a commission rate of 30%, that would make the sales person only 750 Baht.

Can't really see too many people interested in pursuing this as you'd need to sell quite a bit of ads to make it worth your while.

Still, if someone is interested, feel free to contact me.

Sanuk!

I find it unfair that some would blame KS and the forum website. The only criticism I would have about the forum website is that there are slightly too many forums and sub-forums subdivisions, hence some are idle for a long while. Personally, I love it that all subjects 'Thailand' can be discussed here.

At the end of the day, it's about the posters themselves. If we don't post, how can we whine about the forum being slow?

I like the fact that this board is not exclusively nightlife, and I don't think it ever really was. It's the fact that most things are covered and discussed in a mature manner that is part of its success.

I think most people get bored of the nightlife side of things anyway. It might be part of the initial appeal but interest eventually fades.

Double edged sword really. Having the nightlife discussions included can attract readers, but also repel others who might otherwise be reading here. Same for the advertisers as well.

It is hard to be all things to all people and be successful. Attitude, enthusiasm, interesting members that post interesting posts, civil discussion with little drama/flaming, etc. all make this place interesting, but it has slowed down. Many posters that made the site what it is/was are no longer here, or are posting infrequently, and new members seem to post less and merely read. I think many of the older members are bored with it all, or are now married and/or living here and have no need to write about Thailand, or read about it.

Add to that falling tourist numbers, the failing economy worldwide, the 'stupid Thai tricks' they seem to always do that shoot themselves in the foot and gain worldwide attention, negative attention, etc. and a slump is quite reasonable to see here and elsewhere. Whether it will pick up again is up to the members/posters here to up their game a bit and make some interesting posts and replies.

a lot of newbies with different perspectives or fresh ideas are getting bullied on this board. people with controversial views get provocated and immediately get banned after the smallest flame while other well connected old hands can flame others as they like! a general higher tolerance as well as same standards for everyone would be good for this board!

Well said. :yeahthat:

Primarly nightlife focused boards don't fare much better these days.

Pattaya secrets goes on simply because there are a lot of farang losers going/staying there and of course they need to brag about their 'beautiful girls'.

Other nightlife focused boards are 'dead' or almost as much as this nightlife section.

Let's face it: Most people going to the gogo/beer bars have dearly felt the crisis so far less newbies and far less old hands just because htey don't have the means anymore so less posts/field reports and bragging.

On the other hand people going to more expensive places usually don't post so much, they keep it more private, in general.

This board is interesting because there are discussions about other things than 'I banged Nok 20 times tonight' which are boring.

Switching the focus now would amount to nothing.

This said there are maybe two things to change:

. The URL: thai360.com sounds strange to me (and probably to the search engines too)

. Maybe a Search engine optimization is needed

Don't know

A very large number of people have registered here presumably just to look around, and then disappeared maybe without even posting at all.

When I'm thinking about it, visitors can "look around" without registering. If they register, it's that their interest is in the Nightlife forums (that are accessible only to registered members).

Me thinks the key is in reviving that part of the board. More juicy trip reports, please!

SD,

I also feel that because many of the expats have met many other expats here, their wives/GFs are friendly with each other, board names are known to other friends, expats and visitors, and that we have had a few dickheads who read a post from a married guy and then they are called cheaters and such, that many of the married guys here just do not post their exploits, and even the unmarried guys with GFs that others know do not post the same due to this closeness that has evolved over the years.

I feel many here should sign up alternative user names and not reveal their identity to get around this possible 'lack of privacy' some may not like when posting intimate details of their experiences in the bar scene and out of the scene with GTG's. MANY members and former members are still having experiences it would benefit the board to read about, but most have stopped due to this lack of privacy and the few total 'moralising' morons who make it unpalatable for some to post here now they are too 'well known'.

An alternate ID would be a good way to go.

JMHO.

Well I can't see that people not being able to post their sexual exploits for others to slaver over on here has much to do with the sad decline. Surely people have got beyond this sort of behind the bike shed titilation? If this were true why are other Thai boards with no such sexulal contant, or very little, so much more vibrant?

It was mentioned on one of these other boards the other day that 360 SHOULD be in the top three, well it's a long way from that as at the mo there are just 4 other members on here. The reason they gave as to why it's not was poor technical set up and they mentioned three letters, something like SEO? It certainly is slow on here sometimes and more so since this Amazon link was put on. Apart from that I see little sense of humour and more condemnation (ie 'morons') compared to the much busier boards. Seems most boards have gone beyond 'guess what I did last night' and if that's all people are interested in here your suggestions might be valid.

If you want to know why this board is boring and dying on it's feet I think you really have to start looking at the competition.

Archived