Fish - my latest catch

Coss

Guest lazyphil

oh you silly billy, fish dont eat when sleeping...oddly enough :)

i'm going fishing tomorrow as it happens, on the great ouse at little barford (power station), lovely spot, very deep stretch of river.....some huge carp lurk here up to 30lbs, chub to 7lb, pike to 25lb plus numerous other good fish, barbel, roach, bream.....will be fishing on the bottom with heavy weights as the water surges through here......flask of coffee, radio, cornish pasties, good weather forecast :content: :content: :content:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...., this one was in good condition=stocky a bit like your good self if I remember correctly....

You remember correctly.

Stocky is also an appropriate word in this thread as it's the common name for rainbow trout in the UK which are stocked (into the lake/reservoir) one day and caught the next or at least not long after. Easy to catch and useually with worn fins and tail.

I remember learning to tickle a fish when young - caught one once too -

Trout tickling is the art of rubbing the underbelly of a trout using fingers. If done properly, the trout will go into a trance-like state after a minute or so, and can then easily be thrown onto the nearest bit of dry land. The technique was a common practice used by boys, poachers and working men in times of economic stress, particularly during the 1930s depression-era. Poachers using the method required no nets, rods or lines or any other incriminating equipment if apprehended by the police or gamekeepers.

Thomas Martindale's 1901 book, Sport, Indeed, describes the method used on trout in the River Wear in Northumberland:

“The fish are watched working their way up the shallows and rapids. When they come to the shelter of a ledge or a rock it is their nature to slide under it and rest. The poacher sees the edge of a fin or the moving tail, or maybe he sees neither; instinct, however, tells him a fish ought to be there, so he takes the water very slowly and carefully and stands up near the spot. He then kneels on one knee and passes his hand, turned with fingers up, deftly under the rock until it comes in contact with the fish's tail. Then he begins tickling with his forefinger, gradually running his hand along the fish's belly further and further toward the head until it is under the gills. Then comes a quick grasp, a struggle, and the prize is wrenched out of his natural element, stunned with a blow on the head, and landed in the pocket of the poacher.â€Â

In Scotland the technique is more often called "guddling" or sometimes "ginniling". The practice is currently illegal under most circumstances in Britain. A related method of catching catfish by hand is called noodling in the U.S.A.

My apologies for no photo, but I ate some dodgy chicken when I got home and nearly died for two days, anyhoo...

On Tuesday I caught 6 Gurnard, 4 Kahawai, 2 Carpet Sharks and 1 bloody great stingray, this latter I didn't land, it was too big, line snapped at the rocks.

Fish all in freezer now, waiting for big pot of bouillabaisse I'm going to cook soon.

Cheers

Coss

Archived