Rush does make sense at times

Flashermac

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of a high school friend who had had polio when he was very small. There wasn't a damn thing wrong with him and he was a jogger. But when he took his pre-induction physical for classification, he brought along his records showing he'd had polio and walked like he was practically crippled. It worked - got him made 4-F. We had a guy get discharged out of BCT after less than 3 months in the Army. He claimed to be borderline epileptic. However, his mother was a nurse and allegedly told him how to act and that epilepsy was very hard to prove. The last time I saw him in uniform, I asked him point blank if he was faking. He looked away and refused to answer me.

It is obviously not all that hard to fake your way out of serving, if that's what you really want.

How strange. I knew an MD who had been commissioned a US as an Army doctor in 1938. Back then MDs were commissioned as 1st Lts. By 1944, when the military had expanded greatly and needed plenty of doctors, they were being commissioned as captains. My friend (Lodge bro) was still an O-2, and all of the new folks immediately outranked him as O-3s. You can imagine how much that pissed him off. I think he finally made captain in 1945, after 7 years service.

Maybe you shouldn't trust Rush to know the facts!

July 2, 2005

Washington, D.C.

The military announced yesterday that it will begin providing vastly increased death benefits to the next-of-kin of military personnel killed in combat zones or combat-related training.

Last month, President Bush signed into law the increase in the death benefit from $12,000 to $100,000. The increase was part of an $82 billion emergency appropriations bill to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, which also included a provision increasing military life insurance payments from $250,000 to $400,000.

The new benefits are available to the relatives of those killed since Oct. 7, 2001, the day the United States began overt combat operations in Afghanistan. (AP)

Maybe you shouldn't trust Rush to know the facts!

July 2, 2005

Washington, D.C.

The military announced yesterday that it will begin providing vastly increased death benefits to the next-of-kin of military personnel killed in combat zones or combat-related training.

Last month, President Bush signed into law the increase in the death benefit from $12,000 to $100,000. The increase was part of an $82 billion emergency appropriations bill to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, which also included a provision increasing military life insurance payments from $250,000 to $400,000.

The new benefits are available to the relatives of those killed since Oct. 7, 2001, the day the United States began overt combat operations in Afghanistan. (AP)

Rush never lets the facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

I think the compensation awards had 3 components. The first two being a flat amount for dependents and the third based on the economic loss. The third component is one reason the award were so high as many of the people killed were very highly paid, often in the hundreds of thousands a year.

TH

But why are they paid anything? and who is paying them? Don't get me wrong, it is a terrible loss, but it was well, for lack of a better term, an act or war or a terrorist attack. Who is real liable here? As has been pointed out, many people get injured in crimes and get ziltch for it, why these guys?

Other than any insurance they may have had, I don't see where this sense of entitlement comes from.

Some major players are saying that Rush is THE voice of Conservatives (or Republicans)....It just goes to show you how far the Republicans have fallen during the Bush era. From where I sit, Rush is a nut case.

But why are they paid anything? and who is paying them? Don't get me wrong, it is a terrible loss, but it was well, for lack of a better term, an act or war or a terrorist attack. Who is real liable here? As has been pointed out, many people get injured in crimes and get ziltch for it, why these guys?

Other than any insurance they may have had, I don't see where this sense of entitlement comes from.

Apparently, the logic is that if a lot of people get killed, it's the feds responsibility. If only 1 or 2 are, it's not.

:dunno:

Archived