McSomtam!

Believe it or not, McDonald's is now serving their own version of somtam, called "McSomtam".

I sampled a portion today for 25 baht. You have a choice of "spicy" or "mild", so of couse I chose spicy. OK, so it's not as spicy as "real" somtam, but it did leave my mouth tingling.

My main complaint is that the recipe includes shredded carrots -- a relatively recent (and unwelcome) addition to Thai cuisine which has no part in somtam (IMHO).

All in all, not very good -- but not as bad as one might expect.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, look on the positive side. Any addition to the McDonalds menu that has flavor of any kind is an improvement. Now if we can just get them to put it on the US menu, I might actually fo there again.

I don't know...I may be the lone disenter here, but I really don't like seeing Mcdonald's etc in foreign countries. I think it is just to much after awhile. I want to see place and sample the local life/cuisine, not the same crap I avoid at home. Aand quite frankly, I am a bit embarrassed that the main cultural export we offer is a clown serving bad food...:0 just a thought.

Oh, come on, Old Hippie! McDonald's is far from America's "main cultural export". Don't forget all that America gives/has given the world in the form of music, film, literature, science, medicine, technology, and political thought -- just to name a few.

Even so, McDonald's is nothing to be ashamed about. How many other nations have come up with such a successful model for food service -- providing clean surroundings, quick and cheerful service, and standardized product quality no matter whether you're in Bangkok, Lima, or Johannesburg?

And although it may not service "high cuisine", the fact that it appeals so successfully across cultural barriers does say something.

I agree, though, that to hang out at McDonald's rather than sampling the wonderful local cuisine we are so lucky to have here in Thailand would be missing out on one of the best things about this country. But, since I live in Thailand full-time, perhaps I can be excused for grabbing a quick bite at Mickey D's once or twice a month.

""Oh, come on, Old Hippie! McDonald's is far from America's "main cultural export". Don't forget all that America gives/has given the world in the form of music, film, literature, science, medicine, technology, and political thought -- just to name a few. ""

PvTDick,

Yes, I agree on all points, but politics, but then again, this is probably right for most countries in the world........

Is your point that America is way up on the pieddestal, and that others have to be thankfull ?

The point that is requiring clarifications is the "political thought" part......you mean how to win presidential elections in Florida, or would there be something else ?smile.gif

Ah but surely you have to ask yourself in thailand whether McD's , KFC and the like are actually in the 'fast food ' business.

Have you ever left the counter with all the items of your order on the tray.

Normally i find it is served very much like a typical thai meal item by item in no particular order

Belgian Boy,

For "political thought" I was thinking less about recent history and more along the lines of the Constitution and Bill of Rights -- which, face it, were revolutionary and have had a huge amount of impact on the history of the world.

And no, I do not put the US up on a pedestal -- it surely has its share of problems and social injustices like everywhere else. I was simply making a point that the US has given far more (and better) things to the world than simply McDonald's.

Archived