McSomtam!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Hippie,

I wouldn't apologize. I think this has been an interesting discussion.

I think when you have lived overseas as long as I have (the last 12 years - 5+ in Thailand), you don't mind going to McD's, KFC, Sizzler's, Pizza Hut, or TGIFridays once a week or so. I grew up as a member of the Fast Food generation and I must admit an addiction not only to the food, but the get it, eat it, and get out mentality.

Here in Thailand, I do eat Thai food daily because I like it and it is very inexpensive. I almost never eat it in the US though when I am visiting. Why? I guess the ridiculous prices I see on the menus in Thai restaurants in the US. 'Why I could get the same thing in Bangkok for 25 baht.....'

Still, one thing I have noticed over the last few years. Whereas before it was unheard of when I went out on a date to eat anything but Thai food with my Thai lady, now, I am getting more and more requests to dine at farang restaurants - and, yes, this includes the lot I mentioned above. I think it is still a novelty for many Thais to be able to go to western fast food joints. But, you see almost as many old Thai folks as you do young people in them.

I'm not so sure this McSomtam will be a flop. I have tried it, and, frankly, I will not order another one. But, I have seen many of the Thais (and even a few farangs) shaking those McD's salad shakers lately. Of course, they have other salads too.

There was an article in The Nation just before the McSomtam came out last Friday. It said that marketing studies revealed that the Thais like more regional/national offerings rather than the fare we are used to. Hence, you had the Samurai Burger, Chicken With Garlic and Pepper, Pork Burger (now Pork BLT in Burger King), Taro and Corn pies, and what many of us may think of as strange pizza toppings - but the Thais love.

The article said these items have all done their job of bringing Thais into the fast food joints. I have tried most of the above, but find none of them that suited to my taste. Still, I don't mind a weekly trip to McDonald's for a double cheeseburger or to Sizzler's for their salad bar.

I certainly do understand why sex-pats stay out of the western restaurants when they are here on holiday. And, now, maybe they can understand a little better why ex-pats do enjoy an occasional visit to the Golden Arches.

Just tried it ? crap.

At the moment, the Rama 4 Carrefour are having a somtam thing, which I think is very good. A smiley woman makes it to your requirements. You can taste it and ask her to add more of whatever takes your fancy. You can even have grated carrot too. All for 25 baht!

Before visiting McD?s today, I couldn?t imagine the same level of somtam service. They didn?t disappoint. McSomtam comes ready-made in plastic cups identical to those used for milkshakes. You get the choice of hot or mild, which means, ?Which sachet of chilli sauce do you want to shake around in the cup?? Hence, the catchy name Thai Spicy McSalad Shaker.

Somtam ain?t somtam without sticky rice and chicken. McD?s however have thought of this. To recreate all the ambience of an sleepy Isaan village, your McSomtam is accompanied by Chicken McNuggets and large cola.

McThai have ?been introducing (burger-based) Thai menus in the last three or four years?. I guess the current absence of these means McD?s discontinued them. We can be cynical but it?s good that they are at least making an effort at McThai. Most countries don?t bother. Unfortunately however, I think the slogan should be:

McSomtam ? get it now before it flops.

DB,

Well......I think you caught me offguard now.........I believe it is from one of those Gaul tribes who wandered into Europe from the east 300 BC till a few hundred years later, same as the Belgians, a.o.

Julius Caesar concering the Gaules said that of all the gaules the Belgians were the bravest.......

My sources indicate that "Flemish" is the language of a "Fleming," someone from "Flanders"; and that "Flanders" in Middle Dutch was "Vlaanderen," "Fleming" was "Vlaming," and "Flemish" was "Vlamisch," with "Vlamisch" entering Middle English as "Flemish" around 1275-1325.

But before I get shunted off to the Language section...FOOD! Myself, I prefer Burger King over MacDonald's, and one of my favorite hangover meals is a double whopper with cheese and an order of onion rings. For some reason I crave meat, and a lot of it, when I have a hangover. MacDonald's just doesn't do it for me.

BB, is that really the Flemish lion?

looks a thai cat to me...

By the way, after 2 months of real som tam, tom yam kung, kung tod kratiam, kuytiauw nam, pad kapau kai and other delightfull meals walking from domestic to terminal 2 at Dong Muang I noticed a food court just before hitting terminal 2 in the connecting corridor. But i had this stupid idea of looking for a burger, which I found at Burger King, just before the terminal 2 departure hall.

That burger made me sick on the plane, I can't stand western food any more!!! What am I going to eat now?

Thalenoi,

Come on man !!! You of all people should know better.......

Wait till I see you next time, you'll have to confess and apologise to the whole group !!!!

No more insults on the Lion is tolerated !

Re the thai food, sorry that you are so addicted.......lol........never went to Richard for a

'decent' meal ????

Archived