me, mephistopheles, and the bangkok beer-run blast-o-rama. part I

dave32

pulled into nana hotel circa 1:30am last friday (june 12) - first time in bkk or thailand. very fucking fried from being corked up on planes for the past 20+ hours. i'm claustrophobic as hell. i literally want to scream, and the jungle heat doesn't pacify my agitation.

nana looked like a swingers hold-out from the 70s and the clientele matched. lots of oddball looking characters hanging around with young (and a few not so young) thai women. walk into my room and see 2 cockroaches (small, luckily) but otherwise it's not too bad. collapse on bed but i'm too wound up to sleep -- take a shower and head outside.

holy shit, sensory overload. instant barrage of agressive freelancers, shoe-shine people, ladies with babys, people without limbs, flower people, and who knows what else. it's a little annoying, but it's survival - so be it. the only thing that genuinely bothers me is seeing a handful of kids walking around. that's one of the american puritan values that i won't jettison - keep the kids away from the adult places. taking everything in, i find the whole scene as a whole fascinating and repugnant simultaneously.

grab a beer from a street vendor and sit down out front of the nana beer bar (it's closed) on a plastic chair - they have points of demarcation every 4 or 5 chairs that becomes someone else's territory. talk to several women, pound several beers rapid-fire, and the exhaustion is getting to me (it's like noon los angeles time). take a freelancer up to my room - it's not bad - then i pass out. wake up a few hours later, she wants to stay -- nah. pay her (1500bht), then i go outside and walk.

next night hit several go-go bars at nana and they're pretty dead. a couple have some customers (rainbow 4 and another one on 3rd floor - carousel), but the whole thing is kind of blah. now i get why people are recommending the beer bars.

walk out to the sidewalk and talk to a freelancer i was eyeballing the night before, she's with a friend and asks me to take them both for 1k bt a piece quasi-ST (we go to my room, it was good and her friend is outstanding, sleep for a couple hours, then it's the funky shit again).

i walk out with them and we sit on a mat then they proceed to introduce me to som tom po (sp?). holy shit, fucking nirvana -- i likes the spice, though it makes me cry.

we part ways and i drink a few more beers, then walk to 7-11, but now seeing double. rut roh, not good, better head back to room.

just outside nana entrance i'm bumrushed by another freelancer who won't let go. it's about 6am now and i foolishly take her up. this woman was certifiably insane. she proceeds to clean the entire room, wipe down the bathroom, fold my clothes, organize my papers (mostly junk receipts intended for garbage), etc. this goes on for an hour, and i'm finding it annoying... all the while she won't stop talking about how her last boyfriend was a millionaire from england but he died, besides him she was a virgin, blah blah blah. i so regret bringing her to the room and i'm already working out how to get her to leave.

the sex isn't bad, but i just want her to go. she lights a cigarette during copulation insisting that it enhances the pleasure and keeps asking me to take a drag while she rides -- meanshile her facial expression looks like some sort of voodoo demonic ritual and she bares her teeth at me like a manic chimpanzee. fuck me, i need to get this over.

sure enough - she doesn't want to leave, keeps asking for more money for cleaning and demands to see me that night -- i GOT to get her out. kick her an extra 500 baht, tell her i have to go meet friends NOW and she leaves (i'm forced to leave at the same time just to get her out), then she wants to come with me. i practically have to run down the road to get away.

[note: later there will be a clash between her and the 2 freelancers i went with earlier. the crazy one told me that the other 2 smoked yabba (sp?) and i should not see them but only her. i actually liked the other two and found them soft-spoken and thoughtful. later on in the week i would run into them and have a conversation, they warned me about the crazy woman and i made the mistake of telling them that she told me they were yabba users. how fucking stupid can i be. don't know if anything came of it, but that was a direct violation of rule #1 in world travel, don't stir up shit between the locals and interject yourself. fucking stupid of me to say anything. anyway....]

alright, trip gets better after this - moved to more upscale venues and started doing other shit like going to lumpinee [loved it] to see the fights -- i'll share some details along with thoughts on the culture in part II, if anyone gives a shit. i don't know if i like thailand or not... undecided.

to be continued.

btw - jotting this down in Gullivers on a cheery sunday afternoon, gotta run so not going to bother cleaning up grammar or making coherent. hopefully it's readable.

:help:

Good report. Looking forward to reading part two.

I always enjoy hearing stories about the first trip to Thailand. It is fun to be reminded of how it felt the first time you experienced all those strange things that after several trips begin to seem "normal".

Exquisite report. You have an infectious joy for your subject.

And I'm not sure if you know this already, but the cleaner/organizer has textbook behavioral indications of methamphetamine use. "What's the difference between a stoner and a tweaker? The stoner will steal your wallet; the tweaker will steal your wallet then help you look for it."

Archived