US pastor opens church to guns

Faustian

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing in the bible says you can't protect yourself or your family. Some Christians and non Christians alike interpret Jesus' statements as saying you should not protect yourself (turn the other cheek).

In Luke 22:36 Jesus tells the disciples that when they go out if they do not have a sword' date=' get one.

Why would one need a sword if they turn the other cheek in ALL instances? Because it did not include defending your life or life of loved ones.[/quote']

Turn the other cheeck to a slap...not to a gun or sword...very plain and simple to understand, IMO!

You'd think the Bible is 'very plain and simple' but its still interpreted a myriad of ways which has resulted in the many different branches and sects.

Jesus spoke in parables and symbolism which opens it up to all kinds of intrepation.

Even the 'turn the other cheek' statement isn't as 'plain and simple' when you look at it in its entirety. The Mosaic law of 'eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth' was the context in which the 'turn the other cheek' was said. So, was Jesus talking about a slap litterally or a 'wrong' done against you? Still 'plain and simple'? Perhaps, but again, if it was so, the passage probably wouldn't have been (mis)interpreted so much.

...That being said' date=' I'm not religious and even I think that was a pretty weak jab at religion... [/quote']

Another example of the all-knowing Rennaisance Man proving that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. If you expect (probably) the least humorous board member to intentionally give you a belly laugh, you will be eternally disappointed.

CS: I have a good friend who is a devout Christian. He shot and killed a man maybe 35 years ago in defense of himself and another. He noted to me that, while regrettable, he has a clear conscience. And to your Luke reference, I'd also offer up Exodus 21:24 ;)

HH

I would not lose a bit of sleep over killing someone in defense of my person or family or anyone else and I'm a christian.

The same if I were in the military.

My friend likes to compete at shooting ranges. Doesn't mean she wants to kill somebody. I own a sword' date=' doesn't mean I'm going to cut people up.

That being said, I'm not religious and even I think that was a pretty weak jab at religion. You could put more effort into it next time and make it somewhat humorous atleast.[/quote']

I do apologise, I must have missed the part of the Thai360 agreement, which stated I had to entertain you.

No need to apologise. I just held you at a higher standard then I should have. It was completely my fault.

My friend likes to compete at shooting ranges. Doesn't mean she wants to kill somebody. I own a sword' date=' doesn't mean I'm going to cut people up.

That being said, I'm not religious and even I think that was a pretty weak jab at religion. You could put more effort into it next time and make it somewhat humorous atleast.[/quote']

I do apologise, I must have missed the part of the Thai360 agreement, which stated I had to entertain you.

No need to apologise. I just held you at a higher standard then I should have. It was completely my fault.

Don't ever make that mistake again...I have no standards, which should be fairly obvious by my postings. But you're right, it is completely your fault.

Nah' date=' you got me beat. Nothing is more dull than a conservative.

[/quote']

Hey, the RM does have a sense of humor after all! :thumbup: Doubt if it was "intentional", however. :content:

HH

Do you have a "thing" for me? A gay crush or something? You even have a pet name for me. I'm getting worried.

Have you recently taken to listening to Barry Manilow? Do you possess any leather chaps? Are you growing a mustache? Have you got pictures of Liberace on your bedroom walls? Have you taken to getting parts of you waxed? Do you find asparagus suddenly more appealing?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, I'll be seeking a restraining order.

And OH thinks he has problems...sheesh!

Archived