scantilly clad greeters banned

cheekyboy

No loitering

Sexily dressed females in front |of our places are a selling point, entertainment venues argue

BANGKOK: -- Many entertainment venues are feeling the pinch following recent police moves to bar sexily dressed females who act as "drinking partners" from loitering in front of the establishments.

"The economy is bad. The government should not have added salt to our wounds," says a manager at one of these places.

Identifying himself only as Keng, the man says female drinking partners are a selling point.

"When people drive past our venue and see beautiful women, they want to drop by," Keng says. "When you open a shop, you need to show your products or else your potential customers will never know what you have to offer."

Keng insists that his venue has strictly banned prostitution. "We dismiss any drinking partner who offers sexual services," he points out.

The 10 women working at his place are expected to entertain guests by having a friendly chat and singing karaoke with them.

Noo, a 23-year-old woman, wears black hot pants and body-hugging blouse with a wide neck when she wants to attract customers.

"But I have a shawl to wrap around my body," she says. "I think it should be okay for me to sit out to draw customers in. If there's no customer, who will give me a tip?"

At another pub, a part-time drinking partner says she should be allowed to attract passers-by because this is her livelihood. "I work here because I want to earn extra money," she says. She has a regular job in the daytime.

Another drinking partner says she feels embarrassed to wear sexy outfits and sit in front of her employer's venue.

"But my family is poor. I have to make money," she says.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a man admits that scantily clad women in front of entertainment venues often prompt him to drop in.

"And I think the women should be allowed to do so. Their clothes are not too revealing and they do not make any indecent moves," he adds.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has been toughening its stance against entertainment venues that have sexily clad women hanging around out front because many of them wear nothing more than underwear and see-through dresses.

Some drivers also reported that they were worried about car accidents given that sexy women could distract motorists.

-- The Nation 2009-07-27

Tourist numbers down across the board, the economy in the tank, getting bashed by the international press and now possibly starting to fuck with what one has to assume is their most loyal tourist base....Punters. :idea: :thumbup:

TIT

No loitering

Sexily dressed females in front |of our places are a selling point, entertainment venues argue

BANGKOK: -- Many entertainment venues are feeling the pinch following recent police moves to bar sexily dressed females who act as "drinking partners" from loitering in front of the establishments.

So the law actually specifies that you can't loiter if you look "sexy"? I'd be interested to see a translation of that one.

I mean I realize it's absurd to even look at the laws in that country, given that the police make it up as they go and aren't answerable to laws at all anyway. I wonder if there's something like a corruption index anywhere ranking the different countries in the world. There must be. I guess Thailand can take pride in the fact they're not Zimbabwe. If there was a World Cup for corruption, they'd be perennial contenders for the title, I expect.

So the law actually specifies that you can't loiter if you look "sexy"? I'd be interested to see a translation of that one.

I mean I realize it's absurd to even look at the laws in that country, given that the police make it up as they go and aren't answerable to laws at all anyway. I wonder if there's something like a corruption index anywhere ranking the different countries in the world. There must be. I guess Thailand can take pride in the fact they're not Zimbabwe. If there was a World Cup for corruption, they'd be perennial contenders for the title, I expect.

World Rankings

...I'm in Vietnam and to me it seems Thailand is worse. I mean, you don't have Vietnamese police running the drug trade for example.

I doubt you find anyone that has done any business in Thailand and Vietnam to agree with you. Vietnam is well known for being almost impossible to get anything done without significant payoffs to many different government levels.

TH

I had a Vietnamese colleague with a PhD in engineering who told me he prefered to work in Thailand than in his own country. He told me it was worse there than here.

He also asked me, "Do you remember how the mountains were covered with trees?" I replied he most certainly did, having spent 13 months in the central highlands in 1969-70. He said, "They are not covered with trees any more." Seems the communist officials have felled big stretched of them to sell the timber illegally. Does anyone really think adopting a western political ideology is going to change centuries of Asian behaviour?

My friend (from Dalat) told me that the communists were very dogmatic for 2 or 3 years after they conquered the South. Then they became just as corrupt (or even more) than the Saigon government had been.

:dunno:

Archived