Another scam story

Lord Toad

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 2001. The MacDonalds in Ploenchit Plaza at about 2pm. First extended visit to Bangkok - Day 2.

Philipina and a Thai woman - both very pretty and personable engaged me in a general conversation ("Yes, it's my first visit!") and after a few minutes chat invited me over to 'play cards and have a meal.'

I declined as politely as I could, as I had far, far better things that I wanted to do that evening. Thought nothing of it until I read about this very old, common scam.

Thanks for the info update.

I am sure he just went there because he thought he was on a good wicket. There is an apparent attitude, amongst some, that enjoying the spoils on a sleaze strip that you foolishly think that everyone is of the same character or makeup when in fact; on a population basis it is quite small.

I am getting on a bit, but from what I see in the generation gaps slowly evolving is, that it appears that there are numerous young women (even in Thailand) actively seeking multiple sex partners and who are into sexting. Why go with complete strangers offering gifts (young naive Asian girl waiting to be exploited by Tarzan western man).

I am of a somewhat harsh character but always fair, I just sometimes think that no matter what you do you cannot protect imbeciles from them self, despite the injustice that they have received. Dust yourself off, consider your luck (your health) and learn from your mistakes.

Isn't this a decade old scam? Everyday a new fool is arriving in LOS.

I have to wonder if' date=' in this particular situation, everything and everyone were the same. Only the setting was in London....would this gent be taken aback or duely oblige curtiously as he did on the streets of BKK?[/quote']

Tourism has changed dramatically in the recent decade. Before only a small group of people went overseas for holiday and I guess a bigger part of those early overseas travelers were much better prepared for the trip.

But today people just buy a ticket on the internet and hop on the plane. They don't check neither for recommended vaccination,

basic rules how to behave and situations/dangers to avoid.

Just reading the first chapters of Lonely Planet LOS before landing at Swampy airport combined with common sense would have spared this guy a lot of money and trouble, because if you know about these scams (gem scam e.g.) they are very easy to detect and to avoid...

Some of the scammers hit at me during my first trip as well (Wat Po closed today...; I have sister in your home country...; the hotel you choose in Siem Reap is bad, I know better hotel...), but I just took a second to turn around and walk away

I may have met these two scammers in the grounds of Wat Po a couple of years ago.They approached me while I was sitting under one of the shaded areas with the same story about sister being a nurse coming to work in the UK etc.Short fat Thai woman and well built man maybe Filipino,both with good english and pretty convincing....almost had me going for a while but then they got nervous and pushy which gave them away...

Isn't this a decade old scam? Everyday a new fool is arriving in LOS.

I have to wonder if' date=' in this particular situation, everything and everyone were the same. Only the setting was in London....would this gent be taken aback or duely oblige curtiously as he did on the streets of BKK?[/quote']

Tourism has changed dramatically in the recent decade. Before only a small group of people went overseas for holiday and I guess a bigger part of those early overseas travelers were much better prepared for the trip.

But today people just buy a ticket on the internet and hop on the plane. They don't check neither for recommended vaccination,

basic rules how to behave and situations/dangers to avoid.

Just reading the first chapters of Lonely Planet LOS before landing at Swampy airport combined with common sense would have spared this guy a lot of money and trouble, because if you know about these scams (gem scam e.g.) they are very easy to detect and to avoid...

Some of the scammers hit at me during my first trip as well (Wat Po closed today...; I have sister in your home country...; the hotel you choose in Siem Reap is bad, I know better hotel...), but I just took a second to turn around and walk away

I'm of the great opinion that the far reaching everyday commonly accepted scams, corruption, criminal activities, and violent make-up that has manifested itself in the last 30 years is a direct result and influx of 'Farang influence'. Tourism-travellers-residents-wannabes. Thailand wasn't like this 30-40 years ago. The borrowed and conceived ideals of mindless consumption, unnecessary competition, and 'getting ahead'. Hucksterism, flim-flam, and scallywagging is not of the Thai nature - this was imported.

Thailand was very different 30 plus years ago - far less materialistic. Of course, the scammers were around back then ... just not as many of them.

The changes really started excelerating in the early 1990s, back when the saying "money is god" first started being heard.

Of course, even in the 1970s Thais used to say to me, "Your are so lucky not to live in Bangkok. People are so much nicer in the country."

:dunno:

Archived