"Red vs. Yellow", new book by Nick Nostiz

kamui

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of recall same as you. He sort of got his knickers in a knot, sort of flipped off the board, and fell on his sword. And left, the door hitting him in the ass as he did. And I think KS locked the door to make FOZW know how much his exit was appreciated. 55555555555

HH

Which is the same as banned. Perhaps KS can clarify? I can't remember the details but he was very passionate about some things and liked to have the last word. It made for lively discussion but it went on a bit too long sometimes.

I remember the issue totally differently. Forum users could not take it that he called them on issues on which he had a far superior understanding to that which they felt they had...

He was an "expert" on everything and always had to have the last word.

He WAS very knowledgable, I'll give him that. I heard he was a great guy in real life too, talented photographer etc...

Carried on like a pork chop whenever somebody questioned him though. Or disagreed with his stance on things. Threw his toys out of the pram as a kid I guess... definately an interesting (eccentric?) character.

Hi,

Fly had a tendency to get into fights due to his extreme stubbornness and "I am right!" attitude.

While I agree that he was very knowledgeable in certain areas, there was also plenty he DIDN'T know yet still claimed to be an expert on as well and would never accept that someone else had knowledge as well.

That attitude is what got him in trouble and while I did my best to keep him in line for a long time (as I did enjoy having a guy with his knowledge on the board) in the end it was just too much of a headache as pretty much every single thread he got involved in turned into a flame war and he would never admit fault.

So, finally I banned him.

As far as I am concerned he was 100% to blame for this himself as he got WAY more chances than anyone else got and still didn't even bother trying to change his behavior. My patience only goes that far.

Sanuk!

Nice interview!

But ...

<< With the recent departure from Thailand of the BBC's Jonathan Head, Nick is now one of the most well-known and respected Western journalists operating in Thailand. >>

Was Jonathan Head keeping Nick locked up in the cellar or something? :hmmm:

Who replaced Jonathan Head? And did he because of the LM charges?

I read Stickman's interview. Very interesting. I will be buying the book. Two points that interested me the most from the interview were these:

1. This exchange: It is not a question of Western or Eastern, it is a question of development. I have huge problems with the line of argument that the West and the East are fundamentally different.

Why?

Because in a historical perspective, Western societies also have faced similar points of societal change from feudalism over absolutism to dictatorships and now representative democracies. I mean, it is not like what Thailand is facing now is unique even though in some quarters some try to make out that it is would be. Every society and culture has its own unique path but not this fundamental difference between East and West.

I find it so odd when anyone - Asian or otherwise - tries to justify unacceptable actions or policies on the basis of some alleged "asian way". It's such obvious BS, and I am gobsmocked whenever anyone buys this crap.

2. The observation about the xenophobia with the PAD group. I have seen it to and its for real.

Archived