Can a Farang Develop Property in Thailand?

expat

Gentlemen ,

owning your own house is a basic human instinct even stronger than boomboom oder collecting stamps . If you manage to let somebody have the feeling that it is easy to buy a place in the sun under a coconut tree and at a damned low price in comparison to falang country it does not take much effort to get the signature . In greater Phuket area they are selling townhouses for a million sometimes , there are people buying them . I almost get a heart attack when I see that . Location is really all that matters , I used to sell to holiday people til last year . Many of those get damned silly when the sun is shining .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, a farang can develop property in LOS, but for that he needs land and a farang can't own land. So either he has to have a Thai partner to buy the land or he has to buy the land through his own company with nominee Thai shareholders, which is illegal.

I know a farang who with some others is doing a development in Hua Hin but I don't know how they are handling the land or other legal issues. Probably with their wives as partners.

Serious developers would not gamble with Thai property laws ( neither would BuBi ) but would for example let a Thai subject surface as the local dealmaker and same Thai subject would offer offshore funds to make developers feel safe .Etcetera . This kind of structures would not appear on a Thai forum or elsewhere .

I think the most common setup is a family (or company) that owns property sets up a joint venture with a foreign developer. Best example would be TCC Capital Land, a joint venture of TCC (Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi ) and Capital Land out of Singapore. Certainly the field is tilted in favor of the bigger companies.

Many years ago there was a member here who built and sold/rented houses in the Pattaya area. I think he concentrated in the Maprachan Reservoir area where the more well off Thais and expats live. Can’t recall his name and he has been gone for a long time. Personally I think the OP may be about 2 years late to start doing this. Lots of little developments in Pattaya sitting empty right now. Resort areas tend to be hit the hardest in times like these.

TH

To implant major amounts of cash into a legally unsafe country like Thailand appears not to be very advisable for normal citizen . Unless you are BMW , Seagate or other where papers have been signed by the government .

Therefore using a bank as filter in whichever way sounds more promising , I am working on a suitable layout right now . It needs local advice for sure .

The property market works in waves like pilot training at airlines . In times of depression nobody needs them , 2 years later the companies get crazy finding any because they stopped finding new entries .

It is a lottery

Archived