Help with Zoe Facts

mainsail

It was my impression that the Hilltribe people have been treated like crap by the Thais for a long time. Are they even considered Thai?

Most of the hilltribes began settling in Thailand not much more than a century ago. The Thais hoped they would go away and did not consider them Thai. In more recent years, tribesmen whose family has been here for several generations have been granted Thai citizenship. Their children attend Thai schools and use Thai names.

Hilltribe refugees from Burma or Laos are another matter. They are still not wanted and are treated rather shabbily.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For comparison sake, check out this established local charity in Chiang Mai, the Support the Children Foundation. The Nanapong board has been collecting donations for them at holiday time for several years now and a few of them have visited the site. You'll notice no mansions are being planned, and from the photos you can see they're truly helping children in need.

I'd personally be wary of any religious mission.

Mainsail, human trafficking is a problem in Thailand. I don't know how huge the problem is (does anyone, its very nature is secretive), but it is a problem.

I know of Japanese guys taking hill tribe girls, underage ones, out of the country, from the areas you describe. Plenty of girls are taken from the area near the Burma border and sold. There's also some sold from Isaan, although less so. Not all are for the sex trade, many are for labouring jobs or as maids.

The trade is hidden and secretive and involves corrupt policemen and foreigners, plus Thai's who procure locals. There are quite a few networks. Occasionally you'll see busts go down. There will be more.

I don't know if this organisation is legit. I've not heard of them before. I will investigate and report back.

Main Sail, if you're gonna go up against Zoe, be careful you don't try and justify Adult P4P as being acceptable. In the Zoe's eyes any sex involving foreigners and locals is exploitation of the worst kind. So you'll be pushing shit uphill.

The only way to go these folk, is to assert and prove that their statements are wrong.

The real problem is that what they're basically trying to do is a good thing.

It's that they have no idea about the reality and their agenda will be to raise enough money so they can waltz around the word dispensing holy water to the natives whilst bathing in their own Jesus glow.

Like many others here, I have seen little of the trafficking that is supposed to account for all the vehicular movements in SEA. However to deny that it exists would be naive.

I would suggest that Zoe can and will find an instance or two of what they are looking for.

Very much along the lines of: I can pay for a trafficked person, please get me one. Thank you, now I can save this person. See I done good. Give me lots of money to continue my work. Repeat.

But then I'm a cynic.

Cheers

Coss

I've been working with ngo's for the last 6 years. A few are gone, one is great, the rest exist to justify their existance. Also they are incredibly jealous and protective of their turf. Not one has done me favour that has had a real outcome yet. As far as trafficing, i stand by the amazing survey a mate did, reality is there is very little trafficking as long as ultra poor people are willing to work for next to nothing.

OK, letters are in the mail. We were just trying to set the record straight on their misinformation. The only inflammatory thing we said was that we did not appreciate foreigners going to another country and meddling in people's families. The Zoe website says they have taken children away from their parents and we said we did not support this practice and that Americans would not appreciate foreigners coming here and taking away your children because they determined they were at-risk.

Archived