Airport tax at Subarnapoom ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
U.S. Departure tax is 13.40usd' date=' around 445 baht. And for what??? I understand the arrival tax as that is when you use the government agencies but when you depart the US, you use none of them. What a scam!![/quote']

Sure you do...TSA screeners.

HH

Unless you're taking the piss here, I have to disagree with you. I'm already paying for that so it's a double charge by your logic. Here is a breakdown of taxes....

U.S. International Departure Tax

$13.40 ‑ This applies to any international air transportation commencing in the U.S. with the exception of transportation from the Continental U.S. to a city within the 225 mile buffer zone.

This tax applies to passengers originating in Alaska or Hawaii or who stopped over for more than 19 hours in Alaska or Hawaii, to a destination outside the Continental U.S.

U.S. Possessions and Territories such as Puerto Rico, U. S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam are considered internationa1 points outside the U.S. This tax applies when traveling from other U.S. points to these destinations.

Alaska/ Hawaii International Departure Tax

$6.70 - This applies when traveling between the Continental U. S. and points in the states of Alaska and Hawaii for miles flown over the Provinces of Canada or over the Pacific Ocean. This may apply to some points in Canada

U.S. International Arrival. Tax

$13.40 - This applies to any international air transportation ending in the U.S. with the exception of transportation from the Continental U. S from a city within the 225 mile buffer zone or between a point in the Continental U.S. and Alaska or Hawaii

This also applies to transportation between Alaska or Hawaii and foreign countries, including U.S. Possessions and Territories such as Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam which are considered international points outside the U.S.

Passenger Facilities Charges (PFCs)

Up to $4.50 -charged by an airport for airport improvements. Up to four PSCs can apply to each ticketed journey and a maximum of two PFCs per each one-way trip.

Federal Security Segment Tax

Up to $5.00 - charged per one-way trip to fund screeners, equipment, and other costs of the Transportation Security Administration

Taxes/Fees from which Diplomats are Exempt:

U.S. Customs Fees

$5.00 ‑ Assessed for travel on tickets issued to passengers arriving from outside the customs territory for travel which originated in a place other than Canada, Mexico and the adjacent islands of the U.S. (The Caribbean).

Exemption applies to diplomats and other persons on official travel who are accredited in the U.S., and/or have a diplomatic paasport, visa (A‑1 and 2, G‑l ‑ 4), or a diplomatic I.D card issued by a foreign government .

Immigration Fee

$7.00 ‑ This fee is collected for travel from any international point into the U S., Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U. S. Virgin Islands. Traveling from U.S. possession and territories to the U. S. , Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered travel from an internatianal point and the fee applies.

Exemption applies only to diplomats who are accredited to the U. S and/or have a diplomatic passport, visa (A‑1 and 2, G‑1 ‑ 4), or a diplomatic I.D. card issued by a foreign government.

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Fee

This fee is collected for travel from any international point (except Canada) into the U.S. and Puerto Rico This fee will vary over the next several years as follows:

$3.10- as of 1/1/03

Exemption applies only to diplomats who are accredited to the U. S and/or have a diplomatic passport, visa A‑1and 2, G‑1- 4), or a diplomatic I.D. card issued by a foreign government.

The bold is where the TSA gets their money.

Legalized extortion

U.S. Departure tax is 13.40usd' date=' around 445 baht. And for what??? I understand the arrival tax as that is when you use the government agencies but when you depart the US, you use none of them. What a scam!![/quote']

Sure you do...TSA screeners.

HH

TSA maniacs get to relieve their built up frustrations in what they smash and they get paid from what they steal...... which means they get paid very well (probably $250 - $500 an hour).

I don't have a problem paying a tax. I have a problem with paying a tax in cash at the airport (where everyone is honest, I'm sure) in a 3rd world country such as the Philippines. Don't tell me you are blind to the corruption and seriously think every peso collected goes to the tax man? I would also bet big money some people here in Thailand lost out a bit when the tax started being collected with ticket purchases instead at the airline where I remember paying it many years ago.

I am flying out on Thai Air and won't be having a lot of cash on me. Will it be listed on my ticket? I want to make sure. I recall a few years ago I had U.S. dollars on me and had to borrow 500 baht from my (then) girl to pay the fee. I was late catching my plane and didn't have time to go change my money.

Archived