Another first for Obama!

Flashermac

Another problem I see with the current USA is not only about loss of patriotism of the people, but about the structures:

Your parliamentary system, which might have been a role model previouslsy, seems to be paralyzed by a Byzantine set of rules which are extremely hard to understand by outsiders.

Probably the worst rule is the Filibuster. It could be that the Filibuster will be *one* reason for the demise of the USA. Because of the Filibuster it will became almost impossible for ANY president to create new laws against the will of the opposition. Soon the whole US will become as ungovernable as California.

K-Street, of course is another reason.

But don't forget the US media of which most have given up their role as observers. I wonder if there is any other democracy which the media are as biased and manipulative as in the USA?

I am always surprised when Americans think that by just changing the politicans, everything will change. Obama is IMHO a fine example. His ideas got lost in Washington in the struggle between the senate and the congress. I am mean, he can't even name a new head of the TSA without the consent of the Repubs...

And as soon as the Democrats lose their supermajority (see Filibuster) Obama's fate will be sealed.

You're right about the structure but will disagree about the patriotism. People love the country dearly. The singing of the national anthem at sports games still gives me chills. Just a guess but I think it is so for most others as well. Do other Americans on here look sternly at folks who are talking or doing what we regards as 'disrepectful' things during the playing of the national anthem? I do.

Anyway, we have morphed into a set of rules and heirarchy that were set up solely to keep the powers of the ones in place.

For me the biggest fallacy is the Congress. They are a supposed to be a body of equals. However, it is set up now (never intended to originally) that the newest ELECTED member has the least power. Why should someone serving longer be given more power than a first time member. Are they supposed to be a body of equals or not? Yes, their votes are a 'one man, one vote' system when it comes to it but the legislation that is brought in to vote on was designed by senior members in a select committee.

I understand the need for committees as there are just too many things brought before the congress to discuss. However, it could be conducted fairer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we switched from the American dream being the ownership of a home to the ownership of a tube of KY, we are fucked. This year and next year will be straining years.

A lot of us don't carry home ownership as an important element in what we want out of life BT. But I get your point. And agree on the strain.

I don't think Hugh's joke and what was implied was funny. And I'm not wound tight. Did you laugh? Where's the humor? I said the same thing to my pinko liberal friends about Bush and Cheney, even though they were two of the most grotesque bottom-feeders to ever grace the national stage.

Some things go too far, and that is an indicator of where we are as a culture, and not a good one.

Home ownership *** was *** the American dream for most and a way to save up a nest egg for your golden years. That's pretty much gone.

Now, rely on social security? Medicrap? Welfare? most funny the US gov?

IMO, the average US citizen (75% of the people) are screwed with no recovery in sight!!!

Home ownership *** was *** the American dream for most and a way to save up a nest egg for your golden years. That's pretty much gone.

Now, rely on social security? Medicrap? Welfare? most funny the US gov?

IMO, the average US citizen (75% of the people) are screwed with no recovery in sight!!!

There's tough times ahead. Some things were too easy and now there are repercussions.

On top of that, I don't think the management of the economy or Healthcare has been done well. At all. And I'm talking both the last and current administrations.

Ahhh, you guys are making me fucking depressed. Some people are taking some brutal hits and there's a lot of rage. But I don't think it's the apocalypse or doomsday yet. I do think there's some shit to wade through and work to be done.

I'm not in that bad of a spot and I travel light, so I can't pretend I'm getting the brunt that others are. But I have an idea. I don't know the solution. Other than bare one's loss and rebuild.

ugh.

Hey Dude...it was Prop 13. IMO, historic legislation and the only thing that has enabled elderly, retired folks from being taxed out of a home they'd lived in for decades. The legislator's in Sacramento HATE that law, cuz it's something they can't increase taxes on. And that, by itself, is wonderful.

And, actually, the house IS reappraised after the death of an owner and title is transferred to, for instance, an off-spring. (However, if the property is in a trust and not put in the name of an off-spring, the tax will remain the same.)

Prop 13 is a great protection against a greedy state Government that wastes billions of $$$ yearly.

HH

Hey wait a minute Mr. "I hate commies". What about the free market?

So real estate prices went up ... and people paid taxes based on fair market value. Sounds like free enterprise to me. Now, under prop 13, a bunch of bottom-feeding low-lifes get to pay lower taxes, while we hard working citizens pay more taxes because we paid fair market prices? THAT sounds like a commie-pinko plan to me.

And if you did not like to pay the higher property taxes, then all those poor senior citizens could sell their houses (at a huge profit, btw) and go live in Texas or Alabama or Idaho, or wherever there is cheap real estate.

You're right about the structure but will disagree about the patriotism. People love the country dearly.

Steve, right at the top of US google news earlier today were headlines about the fear of Obama's State of the Union Address possibly pre-empting the season premier of Lost. Sure we're a patriotic lot. Link :rotl:

Edit: My comment above might speak just as well toward the media as the citizenship (as mentioned by someone earlier).

Hey Dude...it was Prop 13. IMO, historic legislation and the only thing that has enabled elderly, retired folks from being taxed out of a home they'd lived in for decades. The legislator's in Sacramento HATE that law, cuz it's something they can't increase taxes on. And that, by itself, is wonderful.

And, actually, the house IS reappraised after the death of an owner and title is transferred to, for instance, an off-spring. (However, if the property is in a trust and not put in the name of an off-spring, the tax will remain the same.)

Prop 13 is a great protection against a greedy state Government that wastes billions of $$$ yearly.

HH

No argument about being taxed off your land...on one hand...on the other hand, To me, you pay your share...own a $1mil home, pay the tax same as anyone else with a $1mil home, same as equal taxes on income...I see this law getting abused a lot, maybe not the original intention, but it happens.

I know quite a few people who inherited a home, or had a home "signed over" to them and kept the same tax base as their parents...not right in my book. Not sure of all the particulars, as to what the leagalese is or was...

Hey Dude...it was Prop 13. IMO' date=' historic legislation and the only thing that has enabled elderly, retired folks from being taxed out of a home they'd lived in for decades. The legislator's in Sacramento HATE that law, cuz it's something they can't increase taxes on. And that, by itself, is wonderful.

HH[/quote']

Hey wait a minute Mr. "I hate commies". What about the free market?

So real estate prices went up ... and people paid taxes based on fair market value. Sounds like free enterprise to me. Now, under prop 13, a bunch of bottom-feeding low-lifes get to pay lower taxes, while we hard working citizens pay more taxes because we paid fair market prices? THAT sounds like a commie-pinko plan to me.

And if you did not like to pay the higher property taxes, then all those poor senior citizens could sell their houses (at a huge profit, btw) and go live in Texas or Alabama or Idaho, or wherever there is cheap real estate.

Well, this is it, on the one hand it protects people from losing their home to taxes...of course it does so by requiring others to pay more. The scams I mentioned also ensure or insure that the state keeps losing money. To me, everyone should pay the same taxes on income, and property.

Want to protect the seniors? Fine. When they retire and collect their SSI, no more property taxes at all. One less bill to worry about...when they die and leave the house to the kids, then the kids pony up the taxes at current market value or they sell...

Estate taxes of course are just wrong...a tax for dying?

Archived