Strange (Drugged?) Experience in Soi Cowboy Last Night

Gadfly

Sounds like you could have been drugged, but in a big bar, when there is no guarantee you will even take them back with you.

I think its just as likely you were ill, I dont want to panic you, but have your hear checked out. My friends dad recently had a heart attack, his symptoms were pretty identical to what you described, he mentioned he was sweating a great deal.

STH

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heart attacks and strokes usually have some sort of pain or numbness. Additionally, it is unlikely he'd recover that fast from a heart attack or other related problem. Still yes, a good idea to get checked.

I am no doctor, but I am guessing either a reaction to alcohol and medicine mix, blood sugar issue etc...drugs would, I think have a deeper effect.

Gadfly,

did you take any meds at all during the day? especially something like motrin? BTW, for those who don't know, a mix of alcohol and Ibuprofen can be fatal. Any over the counter sinus stuff that is long lasting/time released can case problems when alcohol gets involved. Just wondering...

The only drug I took and take regularly is telefast, the non-drowsy antihistamine. (I seem to have an allergy to molds, which is quite common in Thailand and often mistaken in Thailand for a cold that never goes away). I have been taking it for years, and never felt anything like this.

No chest pains at all. I am not fat, and body fat is at 20%, and this is right in the middle of the the 17-23% ideal range for my age. In the U.S. I believe most are well above this range and would not be surprised if the same is true in Thailand.

No sweating either. No radiating pain from the chest or anywhere else. No shortness of breath. Mostly a sudden onset of tremendous fatigue disorientation out of the blue and a horrible headache.

I felt like I was drugged, but I guess a blood sugar problem could cause it. Still I am doubtful about blood sugar. Never happened before and I am not on a diabetic diet. Indeed, the doctor made a point of saying I was not diabetic even if the blood sugar was elevated (not that elevated) and wasn't sure if the elevated blood sugar test was just because I didn't follow the pre-exam guidelines the first time they did the test. The second time, my blood sugar level was within normal. I was just told to watch just in case the level start to go up.

When I did my physical, I did a treadmill. Doctor said the heart was in "good" shape. I also run every other day, do treadmill on most other days and run a few races a year (marathons less common, but that is a knee and joint concern). Know that is not dispositive, but the heart seems to be fine. The exercise I did at the gym seemed to help flush whatever it was out of my system. No pain while exercising, and felt a 1000% better when I finished.

I guess it could be blood sugar, but I really don't think its heart problem. Anyway, I guess there is no harm in checking and will do so (while skirting around the event that triggered the concern), but the more I reflect on this, the more I think I was drugged (but will ever be able to 100% establish this).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I did not know about OTC antihistamines and alcohol.

Any doctors here? If so, what do they think?

The only drug I took and take regularly is telefast, the non-drowsy antihistamine. (I seem to have an allergy to molds, which is quite common in Thailand and often mistaken in Thailand for a cold that never goes away). I have been taking it for years, and never felt anything like this.

No chest pains at all. I am not fat, and body fat is at 20%, and this is right in the middle of the the 17-23% ideal range for my age. In the U.S. I believe most are well above this range and would not be surprised if the same is true in Thailand.

No sweating either. No radiating pain from the chest or anywhere else. No shortness of breath. Mostly a sudden onset of tremendous fatigue disorientation out of the blue and a horrible headache.

I felt like I was drugged, but I guess a blood sugar problem could cause it. Still I am doubtful about blood sugar. Never happened before and I am not on a diabetic diet. Indeed, the doctor made a point of saying I was not diabetic even if the blood sugar was elevated (not that elevated) and wasn't sure if the elevated blood sugar test was just because I didn't follow the pre-exam guidelines the first time they did the test. The second time, my blood sugar level was within normal. I was just told to watch just in case the level start to go up.

When I did my physical, I did a treadmill. Doctor said the heart was in "good" shape. I also run every other day, do treadmill on most other days and run a few races a year (marathons less common, but that is a knee and joint concern). Know that is not dispositive, but the heart seems to be fine. The exercise I did at the gym seemed to help flush whatever it was out of my system. No pain while exercising, and felt a 1000% better when I finished.

I guess it could be blood sugar, but I really don't think its heart problem. Anyway, I guess there is no harm in checking and will do so (while skirting around the event that triggered the concern), but the more I reflect on this, the more I think I was drugged (but will ever be able to 100% establish this).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I did not know about OTC antihistamines and alcohol.

Any doctors here? If so, what do they think?

I'm convinced you had a blood sugar crash. Your experience sounds identical to one I've had twice. I don't have diabetes.

If you were drugged I doubt you'd recall events with such clarity and would've been unlikely to have made a getaway.

This situation is crying out for a visit to the doctor. Get checked out and make sure they screen the blood, and let them know you suspect your drink was spiked. Embarrassing? Just tell them you were out at a bar when this happened, what's embarrassing about that. Whether the truth is that you were drugged, had a reaction to meds, or this is a sign of some until-now unknown medical problem, the place to get the answer is definitely from a doctor. Two of these possible reasons are potentially serious health issues that you should start dealing with sooner rather than later. You need an answer. Can't get that answer here.

Archived