Strange (Drugged?) Experience in Soi Cowboy Last Night

Gadfly

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this email from a reliable friend today:

"My gf has recently become a Policewoman and gave me some interesting info. Apparently police are really concerned about a big rise in complaints from farang at the Sukhumvit station claiming to have been drugged and robbed. She says that the drugs are a manufactured cocktail of nasty things and is coming into Bangkok from Buriram."

Food for thought....

If this is happening with any kind of regularity, the Thais can look forward to an especially long (and deep) slow season. Who needs that shit - losing your wallet is one thing, but someone will end up in the morgue if they are drugging people in public places then leaving them to catch a train/drive a car ....

OK, this thread scared me enough to go to Bumrungrad this afternoon. And I still have enough blood left after all the blood they extracted from me for testing me to be able to write this. Joking, well sort of, but they are big on tests.

The doctor was confident it's not a heart problem (did a treadmill again and he looked at the results from my physical a few months back). He also said he didn't think it had anything to do with blood sugar ("not likely"), but nothing was ruled out because they didn't find anything.

I mentioned a bar, but was vague. He was not. He asked me point blank where I had been and then proceeded down the list "was is it a bar on Soi 4, Nana, Soi Cowboy..." The doctor was not naive. He wanted to know exactly how much beer I drank, where, etc. I didn't ask, but he said a drugging was "possible" - exact words.

He said that if I have been drugged with the drug normally used, it would have been metabolized by now. What I found most interesting is that he referred to the "drug normally used", meaning they have experience with this.

I also got 'treated' to a bit of lecture about STDs (don't have one) and the general dangers of those sorts of bars - apparently the customers who frequent them are no strangers to Bumrungrad.

Need to give this some more thought, but I visit the bars much less than I used to anyway and I suspect this is another reason to continue on that path.

Gaddy,

Stick made referance to the percieved increase of doping of farangs in lower suk in his column this week.

"A friend's girlfriend recently became a policewoman and it hasn't taken long for her to learn of and convey some most interesting and relevant info. Apparently the police are really concerned about a big rise in complaints from farang in the Sukhumvit area claiming to have been drugged and robbed. The word is that the drugs are a manufactured cocktail coming into Bangkok from Buriram. I receive many reports from readers about this sort of thing and the cops verifying that it is more prevalent than ever is a very real concern. Keep a close eye on your drink!"

I'm pretty sure I was drugged once in Phnom Penh, at the notorious MARTINIS.

I had an open drink and had been sitting with a Mama-San, negotiating long time for one of her platoon.

Deal made, the young lady and I moto'd off to my room. I hadn't finished my drink, leaving about half still in the glass.

Things finished pretty quickly, she was a total starfish so I sent her back early and settled in to watch TV for a bit.

I suddenly began to hallucinate; pretty weird stuff kind of blending with the show I was watching. It wasn't so severe that I didn't have some awareness of what was happening and I kind of fought it as best I could. After a couple of hours, the hallucinations began to dissipate and I finally got to sleep.

If I had consumed the entire drink I could have been in serious trouble, especially if I also hadn't kicked her out early; she could have cleaned me out.

Never had an open drink there again.

Thanks for the heads up, ddave.

I only drink beer from the bottle, particularly OS, and I am a notoriously fast drinker - I tend to drain the bottle in front of me then go to loo or whatever. Even if I'm not consciously thinking about a potential drink-spiking, I just don't like leaving a drink untended. That said, I'm sure there are nefarious ways and means of doping even the most wary punter - I work on the assumption that they will look for an easier mark.

Its a bit like having your wallet stolen I guess - assumed it wouldn't happen to me until I found myself with an empty pocket and a street full of anonymous Chinese.

Archived