Songkran. Worth it or just skip?

dave32

LOS in April. Current approved time off from work is April 19th through May 10th -- but, with a little effort I can change it to April 5th through 26th and thus be in country for Songkran. Everything else works out for me better at the later date (4/19-5/10), but I'm curious -- is Songkran worth the extra effort? Or is it a big clusterf*** waterfight? Or both?

Plan on spending a week in Chiang Mai so could be there during Songkran opposed to BKK, if it makes a significant difference. (a few questions about Chiang Mai coming [never been there and going alone]...).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's fun in the countryside, can be quite obnoxious in Bangkok, due in no small part to drunken idiot farangs latching on to all the wrong aspects of the holiday.

A Songkran story I somehow remember, that I found in the archives, from a newbie Bangkok businessman that sums up Songkran in the city:

[color:blue]2001-04-13 00:49:00

To : KHUN_SANUK

Last year I had to go to a meeting to the Emporium Tower April 113th... It was a VIP that decided to do the meeting at 11:00 am... Was a VERY important meeting for my company... then... I was wearing my best suit... At this time I was living at Soi 24 (Le Raffine)... and I thought that I could go walking to the Emporium towers... I really forgot that was Songkran... Went out and saw some Thai guys throwing water... I thought that they were going to "respect" me because I was dressing "good"... and shit happens.... 50 meters before Emporium Entrance... F*CK! Wet totally wet...

I couldn't arrive late... then I went to the meeting totally wet... You know how Emporium Aircon is and imagine how the offices aircon was... I got a cold for a week ... the VIP guy had a big laugh ... and my contract was automatically extended without major discussion... was fun... but again cold for a week...

Eagerly waiting tomorrow to get wet...

Soi Angel[/color]

Songkran can be fun, the first time, if you are prepared for it; wallet, phone, cash and any papers in a zip lock bag. Old, throw away clothes as they will get wet and dirty.

Try not to have any of the water get into your mouth or nose, as it is mostly sewer water or worse.

Be prepared for people to put anything in the water from ice cubes (which often knock out a tooth or two) to hot chili peppers so maybe googles to protect your eyes are a good measure.

Go slow on a motorbike, as they will threw water (ofter with the ice cubes or peppers in it) at you. They will also try to block to smaller Sois so be be shy, push right past them, be prepared to knock them down and then get the hell out of there!

BKK and Pattaya are the worse that I have seen with far too many idiots engaging in Songkran terrorism! YMMV.

Just make sure to have the right attitude. It can be fun, but if you start taking things personally find the right tutor and hold up in the hotel.

In my experience the thais really zero in on the falangs that get bent out of shape. Take what comea your way with a smile, give a little back, and place yourself within range of a falang who is hell bent on not taking it.

If you've never experienced it then I'd suggest going for it. Consider it a tourist experience.

I'm with KS in that since I've been here more than twenty years I'm sick of the mayhem and basically stay at home.

Note that the whole way Songkran is celebrated has changed; when I was resident in Chiang Mai twenty years ago, the locals would wait in front of their residences (or shophouses) with a little bowl of scented water (sometimes with a few flower petals floating in it), take a small cupful and pour it on your shoulder with a 'khor tod' (please excuse me) and a smile.

It was the tourists (who at the time didn't understand the custom - still don't) started slinging water at everyone and introducing high powered water guns. It is also annoying to get sloshed after dark by some drunk idiot when even the locals desist.

Right. Rant over.

If you want water wars, go to the farang ghetto (Khao San Road) and you won't be disappointed.

Note that this is a personal point of view; for those of you who are into it, whatever floats your boat..

Archived