Atheist guilty over cartoons

Mekong

Atheist guilty over cartoons left at Liverpool airport

Anti-religious campaigners have condemned the conviction of a "militant atheist" who left rude images in Liverpool Airport's prayer room.

The National Secular Society called for the "draconian" law used against Harry Taylor to be changed.

Taylor, 59, of Griffen Street, Salford, admitted at Liverpool Crown Court religiously aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

The Crown Prosecution Service said each case should be treated on its merits.

The atheist admitted leaving images of important religious figures in sexual poses but said he was simply challenging the views of others.

The chaplain at the airport, who was "severely distressed" by the discoveries in November and December 2008, immediately reported the images to the police, prosecutors said.

Taylor, who has been released on bail, will be sentenced on 23 April.

The maximum sentence for such an offence is seven years in prison.

Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, said the prosecution had brought blasphemy laws "in through the back door".

'Slightly eccentric'

He said: "This is a disgraceful verdict, but an inevitable one under this pernicious law.

"It seems incredible in the 21st Century that you might be sent to prison because someone is 'offended' by your views on their religion.

"The blasphemy law was abolished three years ago, but it lives on under the guise of religiously aggravated offences and is several times more dangerous.

"Mr Taylor struck me as slightly eccentric and he acted in a provocative way."

He added: "In a multicultural society, none of us should have the legal right not to be offended. This law needs to be re-examined urgently."

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it treated each case on an individual basis.

A spokeswoman said: "All we can do is to look at each on its merits.

"We had a realistic chance of conviction, which was obviously seen in what happened in court."

Source

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Totally fucked up and a punishment that is WAY out of line with the 'crime'.

This bit sums it up quite nicely:

"In a multicultural society, none of us should have the legal right not to be offended. This law needs to be re-examined urgently."

What about us atheists? I find all the religious crap highly offended. Can I bring criminal charges to Jehova's witnesses for harassing me? How about to Imams for blasting out calls to prayer? Those things offend me just as much as those pictures did that chaplain.

I am certain most people will tell me 'That is different' though :(

Sanuk!

Ok, so when these jesus shit bags come to my door, trying to convert me over, and leave images of jesus on the cross and other crap is somehow different then say someone with a differing view going to their turf looking to start shit and convert them to our side...? Let me say this one more time, FUCK THEM!

Archived