what do these girls want???!!!!

kedbecker

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can still see Brando sweating like a pig in the tropical heat, forgetting his lines and slurring the few he could actually remember. Bald head, bloated body and clearly suffering from a life of alcoholism, but that scene is timeless. Everyone remembers the choppers roaring over the surf, but its those delirious scenes in the jungle camp that made this movie the classic that it remains today : the PI locations worked a treat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_Darkness:_A_Filmmaker%27s_Apocalypse

The most memorable, epic movie I ever saw, probably because I was still a teenager and very high.

A mate's father all but lost his hearing doing special effects making that film (blowing up jungles in the PI).

Things only got worse for him, he later lost an arm making another film. Run over by a train, IIRC.

Coppola's attempts to hide Brando's condition backfired, but he was already well over budget and had fired Harvey Keitel, the original actor picked for the role - rock and a hard place. I actually thought it made sense - here was a guy who had gone into the jungle as a fit soldier and morphed into a grotesque 'Jabba the Hutt' like creature with no moral compass - perfect.

Archived