Tahitian Queen Open Again For Business--Unchanged

expat

Walking into the original TQ on Beach Road has always been a bit of a time warp, but it was even more so today after the fire a couple weeks ago.

The interior is completely unchanged as far as I can tell (but my memory ain't that great). Dark, dark, it takes several minutes to acclimatize your eyes after entering the darkness from the bright, hot sun outside. Many of the girls are unchanged, too, except for the inevitable march of aging. There are a few younger lasses too, including some pretty good looking ones.

It is the quintessential expat bar--people know each other here. The waitress mouths the words to the 60's tunes because she obviously likes them. TQ is a world unto itself.

The hideous mural on the back wall has been gilded again. There is a hint of smoke from the fire, but perhaps it was just my imagination. TQ is in many ways timeless.

I was skeptical when I heard their plans to open again so soon, but I'm pretty sure the owners have been here long enough to know the score quite well. I read some where that the the Patpong family had something to do with TQ. I forget the details.

That was quick. Must be some kind of Thai construction record!

I am not that surprised that it was refurbished as quick as it was, as Expat stated "A quintessential expat bar", and a vast majority of the expats who hangout there are, or have been, involved in construction projects on Eastern Seaboard either in the Oil & Gas Industry or as property developers so when push comes to shove favours can be called in.

The chap who did the initial survey a couple of hours after the fire was extinguised is a good friend of mine and a well respected Civil Engineer and he said one month to complete all the works, ot was Woody's decision to work around the clock and get the work completed sooner, his reasoning was it was better to pay overtime premiums than to loose an additional 2 weeks income.

Expat (This is not an attack just my opinion)

AFAIK TQ and TQ2 are 100% Canadian owned, I have known Woody for nearly 20 years now he has mentioned involvement of Thai Business partners and the only Thai business people I have seen him with are his lawyer, the ex-chief of immigration who is now the Mayor and committee members at Jesters Care4Kids meetings. I may be wrong but I would be very much surprised if this was the case.

Daytime and first Go Go in Pattaya opened in 1978, home to Jesters MC and Pattaya Dirt Road H3.

The type of place you will either love or hate, I admit clientel is rather clique and most of them are friends of mine, not that is saying much :neener:

Expat (This is not an attack just my opinion)

AFAIK TQ and TQ2 are 100% Canadian owned, I have known Woody for nearly 20 years now he has mentioned involvement of Thai Business partners and the only Thai business people I have seen him with are his lawyer, the ex-chief of immigration who is now the Mayor and committee members at Jesters Care4Kids meetings. I may be wrong but I would be very much surprised if this was the case.

I do not take it as an attack--it doesn't even contradict my post. I always have heard the owners of the bar were westerners, though I didn't know they were Canadian. The reference to the Patpong family was just a rumour I heard over the years, not about ownership of the bar, but that the Patpong family owned the land it is situated on or something like that. I have no idea whether this is true or not, as I said just something I heard. You seem to have much more direct knowledge of the place than me.

The type of place you will either love or hate, I admit clientel is rather clique and most of them are friends of mine, not that is saying much :neener:

I've never been in there, now I know they're part of your clique, I'll make a visit next time I'm in Patters.

Cheers

Coss

Archived