Will Interpol act?

Sporty

What link smartass? Maybe you have time for a quick edit. Resolution 1373 Post#844104? Will it fit this case? Does Interpol take orders from the UN Security Council? Is Thaksin a terrorist? Far too much Thai politics involved for Interpol IMO. But we'll see.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They do not seem to be falling over themselves to take the case. Perhaps they are consulting with their diplomatic advisers. And that bit about 'political motivations' offers them an easy out. We shall see.

http://www.interpol.int/public/icpo/default.asp

Wouldn't be a surprise, would it? Our Western governments are quick to push our political agendas on the weaker nations, but are also quick to ignore those same helpers when it is convenient for us. It seems to me that Thailand has been quite cooperative in the GWOT (is that not highly political?), yet now that they want some reciprocation, they get the finger. Gee, I'm so shocked...

CW...there may be a bit of misunderstanding by some here about what Interpol is chartered to do.

Basically, in cases like Toxin's, Interpol acts as a "clearing house" of information and alerts participant soverign countries to the existence of two different types of arrest warrants. These "alerts" come in the form of a "Red Notice". There are two types: one for fugitives who have been convicted of crimes; one for those who have been charged, but not yet brought to court. It would appear that Toxin could be the subject of either/both.

(One of the more notable folks on the Red Notice list is Roman Polanski. He remains on "notice" due to the fact that he has yet been brought back to the U.S. to "face the music", having been let out of Swiss custody on bail. A recent high profile case involved Manual Noriega, who was the subject of a Red Notice initiated by France. France wanted Noriega for money laundering.)

Ultimately, of course, it matters not whether Interpol "wants" somebody arrested. It is up to the country in which the wanted person is located. And then, it is between that country and the country in which the fugitive is wanted to work things out according to existing protocols. Accordingly, whether or not Interpol issues a Red Notice on Toxin, it will be between Thailand and Montenegro to work things out...or not.

I have a friend of almost 40 years who was a U.S. representative to Interpol and was stationed in Lyon, France at it's headquarters for several years. Later, he was fairly high in the U.S. embassies in Paris and Bangkok for at least a dozen years. I am sure he could all fill us in better on what Interpol will/could do in Toxin's case, but I don't think he's on the board. (And he probably could give a shit less. 55555555555)

HH

Good post Hugh. Pretty much the way I see Interpol's role. The Red Notice is more of a psychological threat and warning to governments.

LK the World Court likes clear cut cases. Good guys and bad guys. Milosevich types. It's easier to sell to the public.

Actually I think they (not sure who 'they' are here) would be very sensible not to get involved in Thai politics. It could backfire badly.

"They" need to be careful. They could lose the extreme cooperation (e.g., secret rendition prisons and nabbing anyone the US/UK governments says) they have been getting from Thailand in the GWOT...and that would be bad for all of us. But I'd hardly have any reason to blame Thailand if they chose to go down that road after failing to get any support on their own terrorism issue.

And any terrorism is a matter of what side you are on, so it is all political -- one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. So that's not a valid argument. If you expect a country to follow you blindly, then you have a hard time not reciprocating IMHO.

"They" need to be careful. They could lose the extreme cooperation (e.g., secret rendition prisons and nabbing anyone the US/UK governments says) they have been getting from Thailand in the GWOT...and that would be bad for all of us. But I'd hardly have any reason to blame Thailand if they chose to go down that road after failing to get any support on their own terrorism issue.

And any terrorism is a matter of what side you are on, so it is all political -- one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. So that's not a valid argument. If you expect a country to follow you blindly, then you have a hard time not reciprocating IMHO.

Yes, from a Yellow perspective Thailand deserves reciprocal treatment. There are all kinds of ways the Reds could make trouble too if Thaksin is arrested in farangland.

When Thakky makes videos proudly claiming responsibility for burning down Central World' date=' employing Black Shirt snipers, and ordering the assassination of foreign journalists, then you will have a point Frash.[/quote']

So the following isn't damning enough"

4EdR2ng91A0

5K6bGlnirgk

vBDm-jA3N80&playnext_from=TL&videos=zzvo_et0gZg

I am honestly not trying to take sides on this Mekong, but in your videos I don't see evidence of Thakky endorsing terrorism. I see red shirt hardliners endorsing violence, but not Thakky. These videos are hardly the equivalent of Bin Laden accepting responsibility for planning, financing, and carrying out attacks on his videos.

If am am in Interpol, given the lack of a smoking gun directly linking Thaksin ordering these awful crimes, then I do not think I would go after him and push for extradition.

Archived