Buy camera, in the west or in BKK?

drogon

For this type of digital camera I don't think brand makes much difference. I'd shop price.

Also the availabilty and cost of a 2nd battery. No one fixes these cameras so the warranty becomes very important - as stated above.

I don't think megapixels means anything anymore for this type of camera - although others may scream at me.

• 4 weeks later...
It depends on the camera. I purchased a Nikon D3s with an international warranty in Bangkok for about the same price as advertised in the US, but with the VAT refund, it was a couple of hundred dollars less.

You have a D3? I hate you! :) How do you like it? That is my current dream camera!

For this type of digital camera I don't think brand makes much difference. I'd shop price.

Also the availabilty and cost of a 2nd battery. No one fixes these cameras so the warranty becomes very important - as stated above.

I don't think megapixels means anything anymore for this type of camera - although others may scream at me.

I would only disagree a bit...mainly, shop price AND features. The MPs don't really matter as you stated...look more for resolution. My Canon Point and shoot is 10MP, my Nikon SLR is 6MP, but it has higher resolution and thus takes better pictures, and is of course more versatile.

OH,

The Nikon D3s was made for a nightowl like me. Shooting in RAW with either the 85mm 1.4 or 24-70mm 2.8 lens, I could wander around Bangkok at night getting excellent pictures with good dynamic range, color, and very little noise without flash or tripod even at ISO 25600 and higher. The only drawback: shooting with the 24-70mm means a pretty heavy and bulky camera to carry around.

Also for some reason the RAW format was changed in the D3s-I could work with the format in Nikon Capture but had to convert the files to .dng to work in Adobe ACR. Since then, Adobe has come up with an upgrade and ACR6 handles them fine now.

Archived